Beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot

This will no doubt split opinion, but what beet is best?

Do I go:
    Globe or cylindrical

Should I sow straight in the ground or seed trays?

Strange I know but I prefer pickled beetroot if that has any bearing?

I always sow straight into the ground, tests are fine if you want an early start but they should be ok outside now.
    Always grow globe ones but that's only as I've never tried any others. Can't comment on pickled beetroot! Globe you could pickle whole and cylinders if you want sliced?

Comment

Always had better results from straight in the ground myself.

Got cylinders for the first time this year, number 1 daughter is growing a multi-coloured selection of globes.

Comment

Both are great for pickling Greenleaves, Chioggia is pretty and that's round. I sow in modules and straight in the ground, good result with both methods
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Straight in the ground for me too!

Personally I prefer cylindrical for pickling , only because it's easier to chop into slices almost the same size
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I started some of mine late February in newspaper pots that way they don't get and disturbance when I pot them on, but from now on they are sown direct in the bed.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have no preference as to shape, the taste is more important. I mainly grow Boltardy & Choggia as I find them reliable. I do pickle some beetroot but freeze more, there being no loss of flavour and without the vinegar taste. Frozen beetroot cooked in a curry is awesome.
              Last edited by iGrow; 20-04-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I like to start my Bolthardy in modules. As its name suggests it shouldn't bolt if it gets a check.

I have a large tray full now ready to plant out. I dug the bed its going into this evening but thought I would leave it until Monday to plant out. The bed has just had its crop of brussel sprouts pulled up and fed to the chooks. They were grown through cardboard with a layer of muck to keep it down. Whilst tickling the bed over I noticed there was no sign of the cardboard and once tickled over it looked very friable.Hopefully the beet will like it.
                I have the remains of last years crop boiled, and in the fridge ready to pickle. That was from a sowing about this time last year.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I like to start mine off in modules, then plant them out after hardening off. Later on I direct sow into the soil. I use the globe type.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    I like to start my Bolthardy in modules. As its name suggests it shouldn't bolt if it gets a check.

I have a large tray full now ready to plant out. I dug the bed its going into this evening but thought I would leave it until Monday to plant out. The bed has just had its crop of brussel sprouts pulled up and fed to the chooks. They were grown through cardboard with a layer of muck to keep it down. Whilst tickling the bed over I noticed there was no sign of the cardboard and once tickled over it looked very friable.Hopefully the beet will like it.
                    I have the remains of last years crop boiled, and in the fridge ready to pickle. That was from a sowing about this time last year.
                    Like the idea of using cardboard in your brussels bed, might give it a go myself!

Comment

I sow my beetroot in modules. I grow Bolthardy as it doesn't bolt even if you can't get to water it.
                      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                      -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

I love pickled beetroot! I grow Cylindrical types for pickling, (alto) cos it fits in the jars and I grow the round ones for roasting, soups etc. I also start mine off in modules.
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 19-04-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Bolthardy is yummy...looks like a lot of us enjoy it's flavour then!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Straight outside for me and Boltardy (globe) is the variety I choose.

Comment

Thank you everyone, I think I shall grow the varieties you all suggested to see what grows best.

Done a bit of sowing in the greenhouse today....been lashing down here

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X