X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pencil thickness leeks?

Are these pencil thickness?

Attached Files

They look a bit thin to me......Pencils come in different sizes. I suppose it depends how much lead you've got in your pencil.

I've planted smaller ones out.

Comment

If mine were that thick I would be very happy to plant them. I think mine are more hair thickness right now.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I have never seen leeks pencil thickness planted out, maybe for the show bench but not for eating. Whatever size mine are by June is the size they will be planted at

Comment

Mine are hair thickness at the moment too but I don't want to plant them out from a few months yet as the space is full until then

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

That's a crop, not nursery plants, surely??
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

wish mine were that thick, they have been out all over the winter and they are still the same size which is like a strand of hair. Think I must of done something wrong :/
              If you want to view paradise
              Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                That's a crop, not nursery plants, surely??
                Kristen congratulations:
                That was the result of about half of last years crop as you have realised.
                All grown in a good bed and with a few bags of manure at the time.
                Only ever had one decent year when I got reasonable leeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                  Kristen congratulations:
                  Thanks

Micro-veg are all the range in top restaurants ... and FWIW our household prefers smaller, tender, veg than thumping great big Parsnips, Leeks et al.
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    Thanks

Micro-veg are all the range in top restaurants ... and FWIW our household prefers smaller, tender, veg than thumping great big Parsnips, Leeks et al.

I call my leeks 'posh leeks' instead of failures after seeing how expensive baby ones are.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I haven't sown mine yet, genuinely forgot. Best do them at the w/end.
                      Feed the soil, not the plants.
                      (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                      Bob

Comment

Mine are probably 5 times the thickness of a hair, i do have some room and i am tempted to plant them out......should i wait a wee bit longer?

Comment

Mine are probably 3-4mm thick at the base, with 3 leaves on. And are approx 8 inches tall.

I need the room, so they are being planted out over easter. Unless of course there is a good reason not to do so?
                          Last edited by chilli_grower; 16-04-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
                            Mine are probably 3-4mm thick at the base, with 3 leaves on. And are approx 8 inches tall.

I need the room, so they are being planted out over easter. Unless of course there is a good reason not to do so?
                            You don't need to plant them out at their final spacings though so can save plot space for now. It's fine to plant them as a clump in the ground to grow on to closer to pencil thickness and then move again although there is an element of double handling in that of course.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine are still very fine....more like ### fluff, at least they match the thinning hair!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X