Runner/French beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner/French beans

I don't really know what to do for the best.

I am going away for 2 weeks, mid to end June.

Should I get my runners going in pots to plant out just before I go? Should I put straight into the pots/tubs in which they are to grow mid May??

This forum needs a postcode-linked "holiday cover buddy" APP
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Get em started now and put em in a few days before you go away. give em a good soaking at planting and before you go away.
      I always fill my bean trench with shredded paper and my home made compost and then plant through thin cardboard. This helps keep the trench damp.
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Start in pots then put in ground the day before you leave..fill a couple of 2 litre bottles up and pin prick the bottom maybe twice to give a very slow water release..i have never tried this..its just an idea!! sorry...added info...water and plastic may attract slugs..probably best to bury them (the bottles....not the plants)or get a timer and irrigation system...but if youre like me you wont spend money on your garden lol
        Last edited by bretty666; 14-04-2014, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Sowing beans in paper pots .. French / Runners

I was thinking about making some tall paper pots to sow my beans in, just sticking the bottoms in the 3" plastic pots I already have.

What length paper pots should I make please ?

I am just going to roll newspaper around an empty 'Mr Sheen' can, but was wondering how many layers of paper is best.

thanks !

Comment

I use a polish can but don't cover the lid - gives me 7inch deep pots.
            I fold just a single page of paper in half top of page to bottom, and put the fold where the lid starts and wind round. Tuck the end up into the bottom of the can, Bob's yer uncle - jobs a good'un

Comment

Originally posted by wbmkk View Post
              I was thinking about making some tall paper pots to sow my beans in, just sticking the bottoms in the 3" plastic pots I already have.
              I raise my Runner Beans in 3" pots, and then plant them out. They are vigorous and don't seem to mind some root disturbance, so I don't think you need to go to the trouble of making paper pots to give them a deep root run.

Lots of videos on YouTube to guide you, but my effort at describing how I do it is here:
              How to Make Pots from Newspaper | K's Garden
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X