Slug resistant basil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slug resistant basil

Basil is the only herb I've ever grown which was decimated by slugs. The variety was always sweet genovese, which of course has very tender leaves and looks as if it would probably be a slug magnet.

I was just wondering if the other varieties of basil are more slug resistant? They look like they would be, to me.

In a pot, high up?

I don't get slug issues in my greenhouse, but for any "tender" leaved crops/herbs (such as basil) slugs will make those a priority. Some slug control may help - the one thing that definately works well for me is nematodes. They're expensive, but they do just work - and are completely harmless / natural.

Comment

Not in relation to herbs, but I wholly agree with chris about nematodes - they completely cured the hideous slug problem we had at our last house. They crawled all over the conservatory and fried, yuk. One application of nematodes and we never saw them again. I think I'm going to have to use them again at this place as I've noticed lots of small slugs this year, not having seen them in my veg patch for either of the three previous summers we've been here.
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

I buy mine dried and in jars, so far no slugs.

great fan of nematodes, I also use them for weavel larvae in my containers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X