Lettuce and Carrots - Net or Fleece

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettuce and Carrots - Net or Fleece

Just a quick newbie question, but I should think everyone is outside on this lovely day! Yes I was advised about bird netting especially over PSB. What do you use over lettuce and carrots?? Netting, Fleece or something else?

Many thanks

I use enviromesh over carrots but don't cover lettuces unless I've just planted them out and think the might need protecting from the cold, then I use a net tunnel. I don't use fleece outside as I find it just shreds on the allotment. I had a fleece tunnel once which lasted about a week.

Comment

Cammi ideally you need to cover your carrots because of carrot fly damage have a read here :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...veg_76685.html
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

enviromesh is new to me will have too google. Thats for the link (still finding my way around the site).

I just wondered if the mesh kept caterpillars off, do you mesh cabbages??

Comment

I have to put something over each bed, the keep the chickens out, so instead of netting over the carrots and lettuce (in one bed) would envriomesh be ok, so do some good fliers need to get in

Comment

That's fine over both carrots and lettuce, neither need to be pollinated so keeping insects off isn't a problem.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Enviromesh is good to keep out the cabbage whites too!

Comment

Plants onions in with your carrots (to keep carot fly away) if you don't want to be looking at netting all the time. Sage close by should help dissuade cabbage white butterflies from laying eggs on the PSB (If only I knew that last year ... )

Comment

The netting is chicken deterrent too, not sure onions and sage would have the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                    The netting is chicken deterrent too, not sure onions and sage would have the same effect.
                    LOL! Not with my girls!

Many thanks everyone sounds like I may be doubling up in place - net for chickens and mesh for bugs. I think the chicken would just land on the mesh and dig it

Comment

I use a single layer of fleece over my carrots. It keeps the flies off, that's all I need. It stays on from sowing to harvest if they survive the slugs that long.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X