Kale, rocket, mustard advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale, rocket, mustard advice please

I've been given 1 large stem each of established plants of kale rocket and mustard, these are literally like big branches cut from large plants, he said I can regrow them or re root them? I've got them in some water just now they haven't started to droop yet (cut yesterday) do I take smaller cuttings of the large stems or try planting the stems in hope of roots coming in!? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Sorry, but whoever gave you those was having you on. To grow usable plants from these you need to start with seed.

Comment

Some kales, like Daubenton's and Cottagers' can be grown from sideshoots but most are started from seed. Its worth keeping those in water to see whether they root.
      However, I'm finding it hard to imagine a large branch of rocket or mustard as they don't grow that large.
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 05-04-2014, 01:49 PM. Reason: otyp

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Some kales, like Daubenton's and Cottagers' can be grown from sideshoots but most are started from seed. Its worth keeping those in water to see whether they root.
        However, I'm finding it hard to imagine a large branch of rocket or mustard as they don't grow that large.
        It's confused me as well :/ I've never seen rocket as more than small leafy salad plant so was unsure about this, it has off white coloured flowers and the leafs are quite thick like a brassica type but has the peppery taste of rocket? Il get a picture taken and post that

Comment

I have a type of rocket that I bought for a bout 50p at a plant sale years ago which is some kind of perennial type. No idea of the proper name or anything but can imagine that you could propagate it from a cutting. The base of the plant is quite woody now (think I've had it about 10 year now) but the new shoots which form every year are very tender and proper peppery. Think the plant is probably about a couple of foot tall and would probably go taller if it wasn't for the fact I've got it in a rather small pot. Don't give it any protection and just hack lumps off when it gets very messy. Although it does flower every year it's definitely the original plant that keeps going and it never goes over like the normal seed stuff. Don't know if this is what you have though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Perennial wall rocket is a weed that grows around the quarry near where I live.

Diplotaxis tenuifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              Perennial wall rocket is a weed that grows around the quarry near where I live.

Diplotaxis tenuifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              That's the stuff!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X