Can I plant shallots in wet ground?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I plant shallots in wet ground?

Well, I really should be getting the shallots in the ground but it's still pretty wet. We havent been flooded fortunately, but still very sticky. Will shallots be ok to go in ... or should I put them in some modules and transplant once better weather arrives?

I haven't put my onions or shallots in yet, just waiting a couple of weeks till it dries up a bit, hopefully, still have them in their little string bags!
    DottyR

Comment

Hi,
      My ground was so wet last year and is soaking this year I planted my onions and shallots in modules. Think Monty Don planted some of his onions in modules last year on Gardeners World. I didn't think you could because of disturbing the roots but saw him do it and thought I'd give it a try.
      Onions did ok and transplanted totally fine. In fact everything was ok til little boy walked all over them.
      sigpic

Comment

Am I being lazy? Cos I cud do that, but then have to plant out, and I've got so many, isn't it twice the effort? What is the advantage?

Thanks
        DottyR

Comment

The advantage Dotty, is that you can actually start them growing now. If the ground is really wet and heavy then in my opinion starting in modules is the way to go.

Comment

I had a feeling someone wud say that, I just have so many, do have 'over wintering ones in already, hoping they're not going to go rotten, with all the wet.
            DottyR

Comment

I always start my onion sets off in modules, whilst it means I then have to plant out on the plot later it does stop the birds tweaking them out so my rows stay as rows which makes for easier hoeing.

As for shallows, I planted out some last weekend but I haven't had the weather some have experienced and my soil is quite free draining.
              Last edited by iGrow; 28-02-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I do have some shallots in the raised beds at home and some onions in modules. Onions are doing ok but something keeps pulling my shallots up. Think its a grey squirrel we have visit us. I use to think they were small diddy things but this one is the size of a small cat. So I think it was strong enough to pull the covers up I had on the shallots. Just nibbles the roots not the bulb.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                  hoping they're not going to go rotten, with all the wet.
                  I've had modules of them out all winter, and have lost about half to rotting

So no, don't plant them (or anything) in sodden waterlogged ground
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It is very tempting this time of year to start planting but I think you have answered your own question, if it looks to wet it probably is. Planting in modules sounds like it could be your answer if you want to get started, not tried it myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I've had modules of them out all winter, and have lost about half to rotting

So no, don't plant them (or anything) in sodden waterlogged ground
                      Mine are not in modules,a well drained raised bed, so hoping ok, they look ok still. I'm not going to plant this years yet,haven't gotta GH, and. Wud have to go and buy loads of modules.
                      DottyR

Comment

I did my onions in a seed tray, not modules. They were easy to separate for planting out.

Comment

As I don't have 300 modules spare................would there be a disadvantage in starting them off in trays (Onions).
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 28-02-2014, 08:14 PM.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Nope ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              As I don't have 300 modules spare................would there be a disadvantage in starting them off in trays (Onions).
                              Looks like you and me are gonna be planting hundreds of onions in seed trays tomorrow
                              DottyR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X