MM111 rootstock for apples in containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM111 rootstock for apples in containers

Bearing in mind that the rootstock is probably too vigorous for anything but a very large container, I saw on a previous thread that FB mentioned it's good drought tolerance and ability to do well in poor soil.

So how does anyone think this rootstock might perform in a container in terms of quality fruit production?

I know there are a thousand variables which probably make it an impossible question, so apologies in advance.

On a slightly separate point was wondering about producing one tree with perhaps 4/5 cultivars on to grow in a pot and thoughtthis would be a possibility as maybe a dwarf rootstock may struggle.
    The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
    William M. Davies

I've mentioned on a few topics that I've been able to 'bonsai' seedling pears and apples by growing in small pots and neglecting them.
    I have pears on seedling rootstock and contrary to 'pears for my heirs' I can usually expect a light crop the year after planting, with regular annual crops afterwards.
    Yes, my soil is nasty but it's the same principle as a fig pit - treat 'em rough and they stay small and are productive at a young age.

So I don't see why not try MM111 in pots - it's tolerant of depleted soil and lack of water which is a common form of neglect with potted plants - owners often fail to change compost every couple of years and often don't water for a several days at a time during summer.
    Given MM111s abilty to grow where most other rootstocks fail (e.g. dry, infertile, chalky or sandy soils) I would expect MM111 to be able to continue to produce acceptable fruit long after most rootstocks had died of starvation or thirst.

The problem might be managing to squeeze it into a pot in the first place; MM111 root systems are often large, deep and spreading. For example: I lifted a what was essentially a 6ft tall 'feathered maiden' MM111 today for a friend and the roots would fill a dustbin if spread out.

So if you're going to put MM111 in a pot, you might want one that's not more than a couple of years old so you can squeeze it in the pot. I suppose you could cut off some of the roots if its roots are too big.

The pic below is a 5-6ft tall maiden whip MM111, showing how big the roots can be:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X