Compost for blueberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost for blueberries

I am planning on growing some blueberries in a pot. I know I need ericaceous compost for them, my question is does it have to be 100% ericaceous compost or is it okay to mix in some MPC too? The reason is that the ericaceous compost comes in 25l bags, but my pot holds about 30-35 litres. I will be adding some perlite and vermiculite too.

The other question I have is how many blueberry plants I can put in a pot. I have a choice of 40cm and 50cm round pots. I am not sure whether the blueberry plant I buy will be self fertile, so whether I will need one or two.

Thanks!
    Last edited by IndigoElectron; 24-02-2014, 10:26 AM.

I have one planted straight into the garden soil which I added sulphur chips to bring the PH to a lower level. This seems to have worked so don't see why mixing MPC would do any harm. Maybe someone else will be more help

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Thanks Mumbles.

Comment

Pine needles are really good
        My Wifes Blog

Comment

Coffee grounds are circa ph4.5 so just about right for blueberries.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks both, unfortunately pine needles aren't that easy to get hold of and we drink instant coffee!

Comment

There are lots of coffee shops only too happy to give used grounds away. I know we are where I work if anyone wants it. Starbucks is a high street one I know of.
              When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
              If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

If you're not just using ericaceous and mixing other stuff in, you might reduce the acidity. If so, be sure to water with rainwater (tap water is generally slightly alkaline dependent on your local supply) or add some acidity to the water. I generally water with a sprinkler on a hosepipe, but every so often I did the blueberries with a watering can, that had a bit of vinegar diluted in just to boost the acidity a bit.

Comment

One blueberry will be fine but you are supposed to get better harvest if you have more than one. I would just go for ericaceous compost, blueberry plants are not particularly cheap so given what you save I wouldn't worry about a couple of quid. If you have any left over you can save it and use it as a top dressing next year or uses it as an excuses to buy another blueberry.

Comment

Blueberry bushes are quite big, so only one to a 50cm pot.
                    Don't make the mix easy draining and that means no big drainage holes either, they do not mind being damp, actually seem to need to be wet/moist all the time. They do dislike getting dry, they will die back and drop leaves.

The problem of most bought composts is that the nutrients are added so get used up or drain away pretty fast. So you will need to add to a pot after a fairly short time to replace what goes or is used. Get something that will maintain/supply the reqquired nutrients for the bush.

Comment

Thanks everyone and sorry for the slow reply, my toddler hasn't been sleeping well this week and I've been too tired even to think of the garden!

Veggielot, I decided in the end to just go for ericaceous compost, although my blueberry bush only cost £1.50 from Lidl Who knows if it will grow, but I thought it was worth a shot at that price.

Kirk, that's really useful, I'll skip the perlite and vermiculite, and might add some water retaining gel to the compost instead.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X