Winter pruning new Gooseberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter pruning new Gooseberries?

I planted some bareroot Gooseberry plants back in November/December time, and theres some information on the RHS website that says now is the time of year to prune gooseberries. I was just wondering if that is a good idea if they are newly planted? They're both a foot/foot and a half in height, and I'm feeling pretty clueless.

Well, I wouldn't prune them. Give them this year to settle in and make some growth and next winter you can decide what needs pruning.

Comment

According to Harry Baker, the author of the RHS publication "Fruit", you should have pruned your bushes immediately after they were planted. There are usually copies of the Book ISBN 0 85533 193 3 on Amazon for a couple of pence plus postage of 2-3 quid.. I wouldn't be without my copy which has excellent diagrams showing how to prune each kind of fruit bush and I highly recommend it. If you do prune now, which I would certainly do, make a slit in the ground with your spade and pop the prunings in. This time next year, you will have new bushes

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          According to Harry Baker, the author of the RHS publication "Fruit", you should have pruned your bushes immediately after they were planted. There are usually copies of the Book ISBN 0 85533 193 3 on Amazon for a couple of pence plus postage of 2-3 quid.. I wouldn't be without my copy which has excellent diagrams showing how to prune each kind of fruit bush and I highly recommend it.
          Thanks for this book ref AP. I've just ordered one from Amazon - I've started growing some soft fruits and now have a couple of apples in pots too, so a good pruning guide with diagrams is just what I need.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

MH, it's my soft fruit bible. I hope you are equally as impressed as I have been

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the Fruit book. Mine has just arrived and is going to be indispensable. It also has a month by month to do list which is ideal.
              Follow my progress in gardening at altitude in France www.750metres.net

Comment

thanks for the book recommend - mine is on its way too. I find pruning very confusing, so I haven't. So far.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X