Strawberries - can you move them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries - can you move them?

I've just been t'plot & had a quick recky where i intend to build my polytunnel... And there's several established strawberry plants. They'll be right in the way of the build & it seems a shame to just compost them. So question is, can i move them & if so, when is a good time? Only i'd like to build the poly in the next month ready for this season.

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

I moved my strawberries last year and plan moving them again in the next week or two. I do it in the winter before they start growing again.

I don't know what the experts say but I certainly haven't had any problems, in fact last year was my best year yet for quantity and size, they just kept going.

Good luck
    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I often move mine, I get loads of volunteer plants that spring up everywhere. In my experience, they can take a season to get going again but a lot depends upon when you move them. I should think now, whilst they are dormant, would be a good time.
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Yup- they are really hardy - so long as the crown doesn't get very wet for long periods of time.

Years ago we dug up some of our UK strawberries ( from the lottie) to plant out here, and completely forgot about them!
        They were bare root and in a plastic bag in the garage for about 8 months ( Autumn to Spring) and we really thought we'd lost them as they looked bone dry and dead..... interestingly about 2/3 had survived!

I really wouldn't be worried about digging them up and moving them after experiencing that!!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Avoid planting them where you grew potatoes in 2013, other than that they move happily

Comment

They move fine,but what i would say is,if the plants have had 3 years of giving you fruit,it would be more beneficial to replant some runners in the new ground,and put the established ones into pots,as it is recognised to renew plants every 4 years,if you do move established ones,then take as big a root ball as you can,should be less of a disturbance,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

yups lottie has got that spot on.

Comment

mine have moved from home to pots to the lottie and they are fine

Comment

Awesome! Thanks everyone!!

Will move them tomorrow into their new home.. About 2 metres away from where they are now! You guys are ace

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

This is an interesting thread, as my strawberries that I inherited on my allotment are 'in the wrong place' lol

I shall move mine probably next week as the advice seems to be, they really need to be in the bed with the other permanents - rhubarb, raspberries, asparagus.

I have absolutely no idea how old these plants are, having just got the allotment last year, but the fruit they produced was amazing, considering we just left them to it.
                    I'll prepare a bed with some rotted poo, get them moved!
                    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                      Avoid planting them where you grew potatoes in 2013, other than that they move happily
                      Just asking but why shouldn't you plant strawberries where you had spuds previously?
                      sigpic

Comment

I did wonder that too!
                        <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

ta da! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oes_37062.html
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

You don't know it's there (wilt) til your strawbs all start to die - which is what happened to mine a couple of years ago
                            So just passing on the RHS advice
                            Crop rotation helps to avoid this problem, as does never planting strawberries in the same soil twice, nor growing them on sites on which potatoes, tomatoes, or chrysanthemums have been cultivated.
                            Grow your own strawberries / RHS Gardening

Comment

Have got a small raised bed that I was going to stick first lot of spuds in and then move my strawberries over later. But don't know wether to risk it or not now. Last thing grow in the bed were sprouts but that was a season ago.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X