• rhubarb?

Has anyone grown rhubarb?
    Does it come as a seed?
    How long does it take to grow?

Thanks guys
    Jen x
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

You can grow rhubarb from seed, but it will take about 4 years before you get anything usable.

It's more usual to buy small rhubarb plants - Poundshops, Wilkinsons or garden centres sell them. You shouldn't pick in the first year after planting.

Comment

oh fab, I know my friend has some rubarb already established I might see if I can break off a bit or something. Is there any particular way to take a bit off?
      If you want to view paradise
      Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
        oh fab, I know my friend has some rubarb already established I might see if I can break off a bit or something. Is there any particular way to take a bit off?
        Rhubarb should be divided every few years, RHS say every 5 years if they need it . . .

It is also good practice to divide established crowns about once every five years if they have become weak or overcrowded. Lift crowns between autumn and early spring (usually in November).
        . . . so if your friend's Rhubarb hasn't ben divide for 5 years now is a good time to do it, you can use a sharp shovel/spade to divide the large clump of roots making sure each portion has a good portion of root and a healthy crown.

Use a spade to divide the crown into sections each retaining a portion of the rhizome (thickened root) and at least one growing point. Sections from the outer part are better than the centres of old plants. Discard any old or decayed parts of the crown. Replant straight away or wrap in damp sacking until ready to plant.
        My allotment in pictures

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X