Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has my garlic died?

Hi,

Been down to the plot today and noticed that one of my garlics has gone very yellow and withered - please tell me it's just ready to pick before the others!

a picture, which may help:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/albu...98529352&fit=1
    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 28-05-2007, 07:51 PM.

looks like your photo-album is in a private area - can't access the picture

Some garlic, autumn planted, can be ready in May... but the weather hasn't exactly been good for it this last month.

Can you have a dig down and see if the bulb is fully formed?

Comment

oh, thanks Cutecumber - I'll see what I can do to make it public.

Basically all of the leaves have gone yellow and withered - don't know why - the plants next to it are fine - I hope it hasn't got rust? (not really sure how to recognise that)

Sigh - it was the very first thing I planted on the plot.

can you see it now?

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/albu...photo=98529352
      Last edited by pigletwillie; 28-05-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

HI
        I would just dig it up, it looks ready to me, make sure the bulb is fully grown and split into colves. if not dig the one out to the left in your picture that looks like its going the same way.

Comment

Ok I wish I hadn't looked now - my plants are puny by comparison!

I'm not worried for you, I'm jealous

Comment

once they turn yellow they are ready if you leave them in to long the bulbs start to shrink
            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I really hope they are ready - they were planted in December and I thought they weren't supposed to be ready till July. Will pull it up tomorrow and see. How do I dry them out in all this rain?

Comment

If the leaves have gone yellow and withered you may as well pull it up as it's not going to do any more growing or developing. Even if it hasn't made a decent size bulb you can still use it providing it's not soft or rotten.

Comment

Originally posted by queen of the cobs View Post
                  I really hope they are ready - they were planted in December and I thought they weren't supposed to be ready till July. Will pull it up tomorrow and see. How do I dry them out in all this rain?
                  It will not rain for ever mine have been lying on the ground since last wednesday so do not worry i am sure they will be alright jacob
                  What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                  Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I read on a website that you should pull up one bulb and see how many sheaths (very thin papery layers around the bulb) you can peel off the bulb - if there are only three, harvest the bulbs, if there are four or more, wait another two weeks or until most of the leaves have turned brown.

Comment

It looks ready to me. I wouldn't worry about storing it. For that amount of garlic just get on and use it within the next few weeks. Very jealous.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                        once they turn yellow they are ready if you leave them in to long the bulbs start to shrink
                        News to me Jacob, interesting.

My autumn planted garlic nearly ready, things are a bit early this year.

Comment

well, I pulled up the most withered one and it came out very easily, not very big but looks like it's split into cloves...bit slimy though, which was worrying. I meant to take a picture and ask everyones advice (hope I haven't got eelworm or anything like that!) but left camera at home - will do tomorrow...bit worried though.

Comment

looks ready to me, they need a day or so somwhere dry once picked to dry out, think you'll be fine!
                            Yo an' Bob
                            Walk lightly on the earth
                            take only what you need
                            give all you can
                            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Gone yellow? Then time to come out. Good luck with the crop, I've never had luck with garlic or onions on my plot, I water and water and water and they never grow - do I have petulant onions or what?
                              Best wishes
                              Andrewo
                              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X