Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black currants

Hey there

I bought some black currant stems in aug (they were in the sale) they have a wood stem and the roots, it said for me to soak them for 4 hours so I did and atm they are int he bathroom potted up, but there is no change in their appearance? they just look like wood stuck in compost? I bought a blueberry one early in the year and put that one out side all summer and that has leaves on no fruit yet though.

Should I put the black currants out side?

Should I bring the blueberry one inside?

Thanks guys

Jen x
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

The blackcurrants should be outside but I don't think they will grow much at the moment anyway. Give them time, I expect they will start to show leaves in the spring. I think the blueberry might need frost protection but not too sure. Some more knowledgeable Grapes will be along soon.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

My cuttings are all outside so I would think yours would be OK. I would protect the blueberry but not by keeping it in the bathroom. Fleece and under cover like a shed or something.(but what do I know my blueberry never fruits)I have loads of blackcurrants tho.
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

My BB plants were outside last winter,were fine,the BC cut offs are all outside,the stems have to grow roots first,then when they have established,you will see tiny buds starting to emerge,the same as the mature plants,these buds will not turn into leaves until the spring,then the fruits will form on the stems,i was nicely supprised by my cuttings last year,if the pot is full of roots,either tranfere to a large pot for now,or plant it out now,put a marker cane at the side,so you remember where it is,the same goes for goosberries,so i assume other cuttings the same,
        Last edited by lottie dolly; 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
          Hey there

I bought some black currant stems in aug (they were in the sale) they have a wood stem and the roots, it said for me to soak them for 4 hours so I did and atm they are int he bathroom potted up, but there is no change in their appearance? they just look like wood stuck in compost? I bought a blueberry one early in the year and put that one out side all summer and that has leaves on no fruit yet though.

Should I put the black currants out side?

Should I bring the blueberry one inside?

Thanks guys

Jen x
          I would put the blackcurrants outside in the bin. If they've made no growth since August then they are dead. Why on earth were you keeping them in the bathroom?

Comment

Put them all outside, they very likely need a cold spell to kick them into growth in the spring, also the amount of light they get is a trigger and inside that is completely wrong.

Comment

I would put them outside, its there natural enviroment and may kickstart them off.

Comment

I brought them inside as I thought it might of been to cold to go straight out and was going to put them out in the late spring next year.

Ill plant them out side tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice
                If you want to view paradise
                Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Black currants require cold for several months in order to fruit well, that's why they do better up north, they are perfectly hardy. Similarly with blueberries.
                  "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

As above: currants (black, red and white) are very hardy and vigorous. They grow well in Northern Britain but not always so well in Southern England where it can be too hot, sunny and dry for them.
                    I grow mine in the damp semi-shade of a North-facing wall/fence and they grow and crop well.

It sounds like you plants may be dead. But currants are very easy to grow from cuttings - they're one of the easiest; just cut a piece off a mature plant at this time of year and poke it into the ground for it to root during the winter and spring (don't be tempted to check on its rooting progress because any exposure to light will impair rooting, while any small roots will not appreciate being exposed to light, air and possibly damaged by being disturbed).

Currants grow very quickly (at least as fast as proper fruit trees) and I'm likely to have so many currant prunings that they'll fill a wheelbarrow. Many people with fruit plots will be in a similar situation and will be more than happy to give you plenty of cuttings - sometimes currant bushes which have been grown as a multi-stemmed plant can be "split" into two or more plants of good size and ready to fruit quite heavily the next year.
                    Even if you chopped a currant bush off at ground level, the bit left in the soil would grow new shoots and the bit that was above ground will grow new roots.
                    So someone might be able to give you a large mulct-branched piece off one of their bushes.

Comment

crikey I have loads of blackcurrants mostly grown from cuttings and they grow ok here altho it does get very hot and dry July/August.
                      Its really cold here now tho.
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X