Eating apples for jelly?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating apples for jelly?

Hi all , can anyone tell me if you can use eating apples for jelly recipes. I fancy making apple and thyme jelly as have lots of both. I'm thinking it will be ok with some adjustment to the amount of sugar used. Any thoughts?
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Apples is apples is apples Doesn't matter what sort you use. Different apples have different flavours, but if you're adding flavours in the form of herbs etc it's not that important. Different apples give different amounts of juice too, but that's no problem because with jelly it's pints of juice to pounds of sugar, not weight of fruit to sugar.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I've got a couple of Worcester pearmain trees and I use them for eating, juice, crumbles, jams and chutneys. Can't see the point of buying apples when I've got plenty of eaters.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Lovely thanks, I sort of thought that but wanted to check. All the recipes I've seen say cooking ones.
        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Cooking apples tend to pulp down considerably more than eating apples which may make a difference to how easy it is to get the juice out of them but don't really know.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X