Winter onion and garlic care

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter onion and garlic care

Got some onion sets and garlic ready to go in for the winter. Do they need any special care ? I can get a frame made and put fleece over the top if needed ?

Thanks
    Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

The garlic is pretty tough, and in fact usually does better if it freezes, and the onions should survive it too. Both are a bit more temperamental when it comes to wet though. Neither will like sitting in very wet ground, so if you have very clay-y soil it would be worth digging in something to help it drain a bit; spent compost from tubs, or a bit of sand maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      if you have very clay-y soil it would be worth digging in something to help it drain a bit; spent compost from tubs, or a bit of sand maybe.
      Plus it will help the onions to root as they tend to push themselves out of the ground...........also watch out for the birds as they can pull them out.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks, soil is lovely, loamy, very free draining and slightly alkaline (sorry to brag lol)
        Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

Originally posted by andy_j View Post
          Thanks, soil is lovely, loamy, very free draining and slightly alkaline (sorry to brag lol)
          Be prepared for smaller onions and garlics than us on clay though! Alliums love clay as it holds the nutrients that they need.

Comment

The frame and fleece will be a good idea. Otherwise it could be a playground for pigeons ripping out the green shoots.
            My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

The garlic needs a few months of cold or it won't split into cloves.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X