No announcement yet.

Garlic Recommendations - Pretty please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic Recommendations - Pretty please.

I have only tried to grow garlic once before and it just did not happen. I missed out on the chance this last year/season as we only moved here in December and I just did not get a chance to.

We're located Swansea way and our soil is a bit heavy/clayish, though I am working on that.

Any recommendations for something reliable to plant between now and mid November, that will keep (softneck?) and provide largish bulbs with generous sized cloves? Strongish flavour... We use quite a lot of garlic.

I don't ask much. Oh, and did I say, it needs to be cheap?

I am looking perhaps at 'Wight Cristo' and also trying a few different supermarket varieties (UK grown if I can find any). Unless anyone has any better ideas/suggestions?
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Nothing wrong with clay soil.

I use whatever I can buy and usually the best results come from that bought locally in greengrocers.

Comment

I tried Cristo this year (dont know if it is the same as Wight Cristo). Bought them from a good garden centre. Every clove gave a nice big bulb so now I have tons free to plant for the coming year. No rust either which may be down to the type or conditions, I dont know.

Comment

Mine grow on a clay soil with no problems.
        Have had success with Sprint (hardneck) and Jolimont (softneck)
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

The seed bulbs I bought done quite poorly over the past two years so I'm back to using cheapo ones from the greengrocers. I bought nets of 8 big bulbs with big cloves for £1.79. Time will tell
          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did "Bella Italiano" (Hardneck) and can't for the life in me remember the soft neck variety!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40329[/ATTACH

Here's some I prepared earlier!

They did succumb to a little "Rust" but nothing major!

But this year, I am gunna have a bash at "Provence White" (soft neck)
            And a new one on the market this year, "Carcassonne" in trails, arguably the best "Hardneck" going!

All going in tomorrow! Hopefully!

Will let you know the outcome!
            Attached Files
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I just bought some garlic from ASDA and planted that. Grew beautifully in pots full of compost.

Comment

Hi there, I decided on some 'Music' garlic. Planted out several rows today. I also went for some autumn planting garlic from wilkos. I don't know what kind it was. I planted that and some Japanese onions out two weeks ago. It's all sprouted and looking great! 😀

LF

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Ta v. much for replies.

I've invested £2.62 on a couple of large bulbs and twelve average sized of 3 different types. Some pinky purply skinned and some white. No idea what. The larger ones are Morado gigante.

If I get a chance to swing by the GC I'll see what they have on offer. But after reading the above, I think I'll likely be inclined to chance it with the little stash I have now.
                  While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X