Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of fence is need to support raspberries

I have recently got an allotment.

There's a path down the centre, ie between my plot and the one next door. The path runs east-west.

I was thinking of adding a fence, at least part was along this path, to separate the plots as well as acting as a support for some raspberries.

What sort of fence would be suitable ?

I'm thinking of concreting in some 75mm square posts, 1800 in length, leaving about 1200mm above ground. I could then use wire between the posts to support the rasps (summer fruiting) ... basically the same sort of fence as the farmers use, except for thinner wires.

What spacing would I need please ?

Would this be suitable, or is there a better idea ?

thanks

First of all you need to check whether you are allowed fences, and if so is there a height restriction?

Comment

For summer fruiting I would recommend T shaped posts. This allows you to tie in new growth (for next years fruit) into the other side compared to the canes that are fruiting this year.

Then when it gets to the end of the season its easy to know which ones to cut.

To be honest I wouldn't bother concreting them in, smacking them 60cm into the ground with a post rammer (or a lump hammer) will be more than enough to hold the weight of raspberries

Comment

Also 50mm thickness should be enough

Comment

My summer fruiting raspberries are supported with cross like end posts with a double row of wires strung from end to end. The hedge is about 4ft wide. I tie the new canes in when I cut out the old ones. They would cast a lot of shade on your neighbours plot though - mine are easily 7ft tall.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Scarlet; 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, I'll have to investigate this a little more.

I am still digging over my allotment at the moment. When finished, I'll measure it all out and upload a picture or two here.

Hopefully I can get some advice on a decent layout.

Comment

Agree with all that's been said but would add you would probably want posts longer than 4'.

Comment

I'm using chestnutpoles, without concrete, 60 cm in the ground. Poles are 200 cm high but I would better have used 250 cm high poles.
                Chestnut does not rot easily.

Picture just before winterpruning of some of my autumn raspberries. I use steel cable(3 mm thick). The wire fence behind the plants does not make part of the raspberry fence
                http://supermasj.zenfolio.com/img/s2...65272264-4.jpg

Comment

I use treated 2 x 2 eight ft lengths of timber, every 5ft and wire stretched across at 18ins, 30ins, 48ins and 60ins, they have stood for some yeas now with no problems, I saw a point at the lower end and use a sledgehammer to drive them in, or a pickaxe used sideways on works as well....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X