Purple sprouting broccoli.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple sprouting broccoli.

My broccoli is looking moth-eaten and limp. Any ideas? The leaves are badly holed and nibbled and some are starting to go yellow. 😟

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Whereabouts are you? How big are your plants and what are they growing in? Pictures would help.

Comment

Rather than starting a new thread, I dug up an old one.

I'm growing this for the first time this year and was wondering :

Although protecting it from birds, would I need further protection from butterflies? - with it not being ready until next year, would that timescale negate the problem with caterpillars??
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Yes, they need to be netted, the butterflies are a nuisance! I use enviromesh.

I should have added that if you don't the caterpillars will eat the lot!
        Last edited by Scarlet; 14-05-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Doesn't negate the issue with caterpillars, although the sprouting won't commence until winter / next year depending on variety you still need a nice strong plant. The cattypillies will weaken / destroy the plant. In my experience they love PSB. They like kale less.

Comment

Slugs love psb too. Three times I have tried and three times the lot vanished.
            When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
            If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Mine is just about finished now, which is just as well because (I never thought I'd say this, I'm getting a bit sick of eating it)and i need the space for something else. I had thought about cutting a couple of plants down and keeping them going for next year.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine's about finished too, last picking had to be checked over as some of it's now a bit woody. Got new ones sown for next year though

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Zetacatty - are the plants in pots or outside? If in pots, maybe they just need planting out cos they've run out of nutrients? Is it possible the could have been infested with cabbage root fly? Try holding one and pulling GENTLY (!) upwards - if it comes out of the soil very easily it's probably got maggoty things in the roots. Protect the roots eg with cardboard, scatter ferrous sulphate based slug pellets, and put netting over them to protect from birds. As others have said, photos would help...
                  sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Thanks folks on the advice on caterpillars.
                    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X