Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on ripening tomatoes no longer connected to the plant

Afternoon all,

Checked my tomatoes today and saw they started to develop blight so I removed the tomatoes before they started to get infected.

Now I have a good amount of unripe (mostly with a few orange-red ones) tomatoes - any tips to speed up the ripening process?

Many thanks,

Samuel

There's been various discussions on this one already this year. Various suggestions include placing a ripe banana near them to in a suitcase under the bed. I brought mine into the greenhouse last weekend and a good amount have ripened on the greenhouse bench.
    You will need to watch out very closely for blight as I have treid ripening seemingly good green tomatoes only for the blight to develop as the fruits ripen.

Comment

I would try and leave the stalk on them, mine often split if its removed and infection gets in.

I'm doing the suitcase method but with a shoebox under the stairs. I'll let you know how it gets on
      Last edited by Mikey; 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I've ripened toms with a banana in a closed box and it has worked well. It is the ethylene (I think) gas that the banana gives of as it ripens that does the trick.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel1988 View Post
          Afternoon all,

Checked my tomatoes today and saw they started to develop blight so I removed the tomatoes before they started to get infected.

Now I have a good amount of unripe (mostly with a few orange-red ones) tomatoes - any tips to speed up the ripening process?

Many thanks,

Samuel
          We have been doing the shoebox method for a couple of weeks with great success

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
          Nannys make memories

Comment

Cheers - will put that advice to the test!

I would have kept the stalk on but the blight has been on some of the stalks so I played i a bit safe. It was in its early stages so fingers crossed!

Does this method work for tomatoes which are not fully developed and unripe as well?

Will keep a close eye on them - should I check them often?

Comment

I have done two methods, in a box with a banana, and hanging trusses in the green house, there seems to be no difference to either method. Methinks they will ripen or not whatever we do.
              What I do think is that if they are far from ripening they will rot before they ripen, best make green chutney or green tomatoe soup with them.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X