Leeks possible rust

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks possible rust

My leeks look as if they have a spot of rust are they safe to eat and should I just harvest them all wash and prepare them and freeze or are there any other methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Leek Rust | Pests & Diseases | Gardening Information | Thompson & Morgan I've got it on some of mine too Darcy. I'm picking off infected leaves and hoping for the best.

Comment

Another fact sheet here Factsheet about leek rust

Comment

I wouldn't harvest them if they are not ready.
        Rust shouldn't stop you eating them.
        I would spray with a little washing up liquid and water and with a bit of luck it should clear up.

Mudge

Comment

We nearly always get rust, doesn't generally hurt unless it's really, really bad.

Comment

I have rust on my spring onions which are planted fairly close to my leeks but they don't seem to be infected. I was going to pull them up but thanks to your link Rusty (hmmmm) I think I will leave them be.
            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't know if it's any help but when we had rust last year we sprayed (after taking off the worst affected leaves) with a mixture of 5 litres water, 1 tblspn veg oil, 10 tspn bicarb. Sprayed for 4 days and didn't have any further trouble. Using it this year as a preventative and so far so good

I expect it's just waiting until I'm good and smug about not having rust before it strikes!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X