Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: apple tree for cider apples

Hi folks,

I'm after one or two apple trees to grow apples specifically for cider. Does anyone have any recommendations of varieties and suppliers?

Many thanks,

Stan

We use any apples we can get hold of, most from the sides of country roofs

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Or ROADS even! Doh, I hate phone keyboards.....

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Cider production requires a lot of apples. To get a lot of apples you need a lot of trees, or you need a couple of very big mature trees.

One of our members (yummersetter) recently posted:

".....The Coat Jerseys I planted twenty years ago will now give me a barrow load of fruit each. They were on M25. ...."
        Apple trees grow relatively slowly, so you'll need to be patient while waiting for a couple of larger trees to get up to size, unless you plant lots of semi-dwarf trees.

Comment

It looks as if there's a market for pick-your-own cider apples.

With my juicing dessert apples I get about ten litres of juice from a wheelbarrowful of apples. I don't do the cider apples myself but give them to the village scrumpy makers.
          Last edited by yummersetter; 18-09-2013, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
            Hi folks,

I'm after one or two apple trees to grow apples specifically for cider. Does anyone have any recommendations of varieties and suppliers?
            Tom Putt might be worth considering as it is a pretty old west country variety used for cider, cooking and eating. I have a large tree, planted 15 years ago, and it yields heavily with large fruit every year without fail. However, it suffers from scab and is prone to Codling Moth, not that this is much of a problem for cider making. It is a very vigorous arching-branched grower (triploid variety).

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
              I'm after one or two apple trees to grow apples specifically for cider. Does anyone have any recommendations of varieties and suppliers?Stan
              Check out the FAQ's on here. Should give you a few pointers,

Frequently Asked Questions (Trees, Orchards & Cider)
              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
              William M. Davies

Comment

I was going to say Tom Putt! They are lovely eaters too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X