Growing Kale through Winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Kale through Winter

I have managed for the fist time to get about 3 decent curly Kale plants through the summer without being eaten or just being pathetically small. So far they are around just under 2 foot tall. I would just like to know if they continue to grow now and through winter producing leaf and what should I do to get them bigger (feeding) as my garden is walled and gets limited sunlight in winter.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Marb67; 14-09-2013, 08:32 AM.

I grew kale overwinter last year and although the growth slowed down over winter they did seem to keep growing and I harvested from each plant regularly (I did have about 8 plants though!).

I'm not sure about feeding them as I didn't bother at all.

Mine were under debris netting so they weren't getting massive amounts of light but I think the netting helped keep the worst of the cold winds off of them.

I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will be here soon!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Mine were under netting to keep the pigeons off - they'd got nibbled by caterpillars but look loads better in the last week - since I took the netting off.
      Last edited by alldigging; 14-09-2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Mine were under mesh all summer so lacking enough light and shaded by spuds but both gone now and transplanted the kames to a better spot in deeper soil and spaced wider.

Comment

Urine will give them a boost now. Just keep it on the soil. There is time for them to grow on before you start harvesting. Just accept that you might be harvesting small portions. Brassicas are quite good in low light conditions.
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Yes I have some purple broccoli that have been ravaged by cabbage white but starting to sprout new leaves. I use broccoli leaves as cabbage too.

Comment

Curly kale should keep going thoughout the winter and usuallly starts running to seed in March. The size will depend on variety as dwarf curly kale (the kale thats usually grown) will stay dwarf whereas the full size version will make four foot high.
              I have thousand head kale which is four foot high now but should make five to six foot high during the winter and send out side shoots (thousands I hope!)

Mine is mainly grown for the chooks but young shoots are quite palatable. If you want more tasty side shoots on your curly version try nipping the central head out on a few of them and you should get a profusion of side shoots.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have about 50 kale plants - various sorts Some have been stripped by the catties, others hardly touched. They're growing beneath apple trees - purely experimental locations The shade doesn't seem to worry them and, come leaf fall, they'll have more daylight. Hoping for great things from those kale

Comment

Planted mine up into larger pots today.

Last year along with spring cabbage grown as greens we managed to keep ourselves in fresh veg most of the winter.

Potty
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    I have thousand head kale which is four foot high now but should make five to six foot high during the winter and send out side shoots (thousands I hope!)

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I have about 50 kale plants - various sorts
                    I hope you're going to tell us you're favourite varieties!

I've only done Reflex and Nero De Toscana so far but I do have some Red Russian I plan to try next year but I'm always open to suggestions!

Not sure I could afford enough enviromesh to go over Snadger's type though!
                    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I do Tuscan kale and Red Russian and both do well throughout the winter. Mine are still under mesh but I will change to wider mesh before snow threatens

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I was away for a few days,while the wind took the netting off,now we have 8 tuscan skeletons as the bugs ate them,will they grow back at all or should i just pull them?

Comment

I had loads of promising Kale plants, bleepin' cat has dug them all up , after using my raised bed as a toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                            I was away for a few days,while the wind took the netting off,now we have 8 tuscan skeletons as the bugs ate them,will they grow back at all or should i just pull them?
                            if the center growing shoots have gone,they will not grow,if it still there,cover them back up,step back,wait and see,should still be ok,
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I started with netting over old metal table frames then raised it onto the metal pins used to surround holes in the road. The kales grown higher than those also so I've just taken the mesh off altogether!

Checked today and plants are actually over FIVE feet high and still growing.I pull an odd whole plant and hang it up for the chooks to peck at!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X