Shallots - and Garlic.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallots - and Garlic.....

Spent a very enjoyable hour or so tidying up my shallot harvest for storage. While doing so I've come across forty or so that are set sized, and while I am quite prepared to peel and pickle them along with their bigger siblings, I can't help wondering if I might use them for next year's crop? They are all individual bulblets which in most cases were attached to the base of a larger bulb. I know they will probably grow, but will they divide or just run to seed? While I'm on a roll, I also got some little Garlic bulblets develop half way up the stems of some of my garlic. Am tempted to plant these too, though they are very small. Has anybody got experience of doing this?
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Your shallots will be fine to replant for next year's crop.

As to the garlic bulbils, give them a go. Nothing to lose.

Comment

Yip! Yip! Will have a go. As you say, Nothing ventured.

Comment

I've put some of those little bulbils straight into a pot - read somewhere on here that you shouldn't let them dry out if you want to grow them.
        I'm going to replant most of my shallots and garlic as it was pathetic - not worth the hassle of peeling

Comment

When can you plant garlic out ?

Comment

I've already put some of my potato onions in pots for next year.

Garlic can go straight in now - try to get it in before Dec 21st if you can.

Comment

Are you keeping your potato onions under cover zazen? I was thinking of planting some out this autumn and saving some for the spring incase they don't survive our unpredictable winter.

Comment

Potato Onions??? What one of them there look like?

Comment

They're a bit like a shallot but they're not, they're potato onions - big bigger supposedly. Mine look exactly like a shallot, so I'm hoping I've not been done - got em off ebay

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X