Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wineberries, unripe blackberries, raspberries - what's the diff?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wineberries, unripe blackberries, raspberries - what's the diff?

I'm not sure if this should go on the foraging post instead, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.

Yesterday when we were blackberrying DD found what we thought were 'escaped' raspberries in our lane (cue Keystone Cops music) - they don't look like a different variety to raspberry cane rasps, they're just on the verge rather than in a veg patch. We also saw lots of unripe blackberries.

Now generally I can be relied upon to tell the difference between a raspberry and an unripe blackberry, but differentiating between those and wineberries is more tricky. I've only just heard of wineberries in the Guardian's foraging article (rather bizarrely illustrated with elderflower - in August??). How can you be sure a wineberry is a wineberry if you haven't grown it?

Oh and further down the article there's a photo of 'winberries' [sic], which look like blueberries *confused*
    Last edited by MrsCordial; 24-08-2013, 09:08 PM. Reason: winberries, FFS!
    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

The article mentions winberries - I know them as whinberries - like bilberries. Whinberry Jam | A little slice of life...
    They're quite different to Wineberries, which are, as you say, like raspberries. but they have reddish soft-bristly stems. they're not that common so I doubt that you would find them in the wild.

Comment

Ah okay, thank you. My husband's grandma used to collect myrtleberries from Alsacian forests, which sound magnificently quaint!
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

I remember reading about these but couldn't remember the name

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X