stunted raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stunted raspberries

My raspberries on my allotment have only grown a few feet high but are flowering. Do you think it could be because the site is windy or should i have enriched the ground?

My rasperries are only small this year too. However i did only plant them this autumn. I will not pick any of the berries this year as i did not expect any flowers. I will wait for the new growth and then tie this in for next year. How long have yours been in the ground?

Comment

Dry summer last year stunted growth.

Comment

Mine have been in a year but they suffered with the drought last year. I might have to dig in some muck this autumn. I won't pick the fruits, should i remove the flowers?

Comment

Instead of digging in muck, why not top-dress with well rotted manure or compost? Raspberries are fairly shallow rooted and hate being disturbed, so if you topdress the worms can pull the goodness down into the soil. If you have flowers leave them on, you may get a few fruit. You also need to find out what sort of raspberries you have. Summer fruiting rasps fruit on the canes (stems) which grew the year before, so you don't prune them in the spring. Autumn fruiting ones can be pruned to ground level or just above every spring.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X