pink furry apple potatoes-

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pink furry apple potatoes-

I have good crop of the above spuds in my little veg patch ....does anyone know if I can keep some for seed potatoes? If so, as a fairly new veggie gardener, info on what to do with them and when would be useful...

For the past couple of years we've accidentally left some in the ground and the following year they've sprouted and given us a good crop so if you don't dig out all the buggers you'll have a good crop next year anyway.lol

Comment

Welcome to the vine. I assume you mean Pink Fir Apple potatoes as oppose to ones with furry bits on them . I too grow these, they're really a late main crop so mine are a few weeks off being ready yet but as with any potato you can dig them up early. I find that they keep well in sacks in the garage over winter and don't sprout much which is always a good sign. In theory you CAN keep some for replanting and they will grow fine if you keep them well (in a fridge drawer isn't a bad idea for that sort of long erm keeping) but you can spread any diseases by not using fresh seed potatoes. It depends really on how you are growing, if you're in pots and bags then defo go for it but I prefer to buy new for in my open beds - note there will be people on here who reuse and don't have problems so it is up to you really.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It's best to buy certified seed potatoes every year as you run the risk of overwintering pests and diseases on the stored tubers.seed potatoes are grown in areas where conditions prevent disease carryover,eg where onshore winds prevent aphids affecting the crop by spreading viruses etc.you will probably still get a crop but may have increased disease problems.The price of good seed potatoes makes it hardly worth the risk.
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

this is why I'm such a stickler for spelling. If you get the spelling wrong, you get totally the wrong meaning.
          (We have same-sound-different-spellings so that the English language can have so many words in it)

The spuds are fir (like the tree), not fur (on an animal)

Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-08-2013, 09:39 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ditzylizzy View Post
            I have good crop of the above spuds in my little veg patch ....does anyone know if I can keep some for seed potatoes? If so, as a fairly new veggie gardener, info on what to do with them and when would be useful...
            Love the name you've given them, even if it's not strictly correct

Comment

Hi Ditzylizzy and welcome. Made me think of the Super Furry Animals
              I'm growing some of them pink ones too - but they're not ready to dig up yet. I'll probably keep a few back to replant if they look healthy when they're out of the ground

Comment

thanks- cooked the 1st ones = yummy, will try as u suggest and just leave them in ground for next season! They have taken over my little veg patch!

Comment

I did wonder how the ones in the feed bucket outside the window, unharvested last year, had survived such a hard winter so well. The soil must have nearly been frozen solid. (Although, they took long enough to appear, and are still only a few centimetres high.)
                  Now after reading this thread, we know their secret....

The spuds are fir (like the tree), not fur (on an animal)
                  It's fairly clear they are not pining away.
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Surely its the fur that insulates them from freezing?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X