when are beetroot ripe for picking?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when are beetroot ripe for picking?

Ive just picked one just there as it was out of the soil so thought Id have a taste of my first crop, Peeled it etc but it was as hard as a carrot and tbh tasted very similar to one. Dont get me wrong I ate it all....... being greedy n everything but just wondered is this normal as I've only had the soft stuff out of jars from shops.

Jen xx
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

Daft question, but you did cook it, didn't you??

Comment

Beetroot are ready when they are big enough, first lot as baby beet and so on.

Twist the tops off leave the root and cook small ones for 20-30 mins let them cool in the cooking water then slide the skins off.

If you cut any part of the beetroot before cooking they will bleed and although quite edible don't look as good.

Enjoy them!!
      Last edited by roitelet; 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

the roots are sometimes used instead of tatties,and the leaves used as spinach...lovely..

Comment

Oh my god lol not a daft question Hazel as I ate it without cooking hahaha didnt know you had to
          If you want to view paradise
          Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
            Oh my god lol not a daft question Hazel as I ate it without cooking hahaha didnt know you had to
            good teeth or strong dentures then?

Comment

I'm surprised you manage to eat a whole one!! You can eat them raw but they're usually grated first - not eaten like apples

Comment

Raw grated in salad = good.

Skimmed with a mandolin and made into crisps = fab

Roasted with salt and black pepper = fab

Pickled = fab

While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
                  these things happen

anyway here's a nice recipe for beetroot and apple chutney :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ney_12859.html
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We wash them, cut the leaves off leaving just a couple of inches of stalk to stop them bleeding, and stick them in foil with a drop of olive oil, then pop them in the oven until they're soft. You can peel the skins off much easier once cooked. I eat them anything from golf ball sized to tennis ball sized, depending on how organised I am . Oh, you can also store them in a box of damp sand for a couple of months too - they go a bit soft, but still perfectly edible .
                    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X