Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fruitless courgettes

Hi
    My courgettes have been in the ground approx 6 weeks. Reasonably large plants and are flowering well, but unfortunately no fruits at all. It looks like all the flowers that are coming through are male ?
    Have thought about pollinating some to see what happens, would this help ?

It's pointless trying to pollinate male courgette flowers Norman's Mum. Six weeks is a bit early for fruiting really. Got any pictures of your plants?

Comment

Not much point in pollinating the male flowers The females usually come along after a flush of males. Just keep an eye open for that big-bottomed female flower - and help that one along

Comment

No pics, unfortunately RL. VG waiting for that big bottomed gal to come along Last year, despite the weather being shall we say 'inclement' I had tons of courgettes. Have resigned myself to watching the marrow grow instead..... I have to have something to stuff at the end of all this, surely !! >

Comment

I have 20 various courgettes and squashes on the go - probably 6 varieties. Only 3 types have borne fruit so far. They'll come, NM, and when they do you'll have plenty of stuffing to do

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I have 20 various courgettes and squashes on the go - probably 6 varieties.
            Why? Or do your dogs eat them, too?
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Last year, I lost all my plants to slugs - I resowed 3 times and each time, they disappeared - had about 3 fruit in total. I've exceeded that this year already
              I really like them - and so do the dogs You can never have too many - that's my motto

Comment

I seem to have a few small ones developing looks like I may have several on one plant which is a bit odd as i only had 1 last year. Also they seem rather late I am sure I had eaten one by this time last year. I have had several mature cucumber already as well.

Comment

A Gay courgette..........now there's an interesting phenomenon!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you have little ones; works for cukes as well, take them off - it throws the plant into despair and it starts sending more out.

Comment

I really like them - and so do the dogs You can never have too many - that's my motto

Ooooh, be careful what you wish for Baba Yaga, you might get it !!
                      I can see the headlines now...

Welsh panic as creepy plants cover countryside
                      Outbreak centred on Cardiff area - ecologists baffled
                      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thought I should check out Baba Yaga before I replied as it didn't know whether its a compliment or an insult I'm still not sure but I deny having iron teeth or being as thin as a skeleton Baba Yaga
                        And thus, another thread goes astray
                        For the record, I pick one courgette thingy a day - but they are becoming larger each time

Comment

Thought I should check out Baba Yaga before I replied as it didn't know whether its a compliment or an insult
                          Ha, I knew you would have to do that...don't worry, it's more the "Force of Nature, Fount of Wisdom Witchiness" bit that I was thinking of...going by my attempts, anyone who can grow six different types simultaneously must have more than a little bit of witchiness in them !
                          Let us know when/if your courgettes get large enough to house a family...I know folk on the social housing list...(Three Little Pigs)
                          <goes off to take medication as he realises how far astray the thread is going>
                          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I've got real issues with my courgettes they flower and the fruit grows to about 4inches then rots at the flower end right back through the whole fruit. I've had to cut everyone off and throw away

Comment

Originally posted by Wapwap79 View Post
                              I've got real issues with my courgettes they flower and the fruit grows to about 4inches then rots at the flower end right back through the whole fruit. I've had to cut everyone off and throw away
                              make sure there is plenty of ventilation,i had this problem and removed some of the lower leaves to allow better air flow,it seems to have worked,good luck with whatever you do..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X