What's up with my asparagus?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with my asparagus?

All seemed to be going well with my asparagus planted last year and each crown has 4 or 5 full size healty ferns from the spears that first appeared in spring. In the last few weeks new shoots have started appearing, but after growing a foot or two they seem to be withering and going brown like this.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Too wet? Too dry? Asparagus Beetle?

Comment

All those did cross my mind. I could find no sign of beetles and I did water them once or twice a week during the hot dry spell. Since that came to an end we've had quite a lot of heavy rain over the last week or so. Could it be related to the change from dry to wet conditions?

Comment

A few of mine have gone brown like that, but I put it down to the fact I dug them out of the garden of the house we moved out of in May and planted them at the lottie. I assumed they didn't like the move and might perk up next year. I've watered in a similar pattern to you, perhaps it's to do with that... An expert will be along soon.
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Mine too. I'm cross with them at the moment so I've ignored them for weeks. Now I can hardly see them amongst a positive jungle of weeds that are striving to grow even taller than the ferns, plus MORE *&^^ strawberries that just aren;t taking the hint when I keep pulling them out. I feel much better now that I can't see them any more . I might, if I'm feeling better by then, weed them and feed them in the autumn, and chop them down ready for the winter.
          sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Had the same problem last year - old fella next door told me to "give a couple of inches of compost and a drink of pee"

I did the same face you just did !

He advised me they are hungry and need feeding regular

Did so (some calcified seaweed not piddle) and they are all good

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X