Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions

Would it still be ok to plant onion seeds on my lottie in the next few weeks on should I plant seeds on seed trays then plant on seedlings ? Or bite bullet and plant sets?

Bit late for onions at all now. Most people are starting to harvest them.
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

They came in packets with my winter potatoes so assumed winter onions :-(

Comment

Aren't there sowing dates on the seed packet?

Comment

Winter potatoes? Are those the salad seed spuds they hold back for Christmas cropping?
          Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Hi VC, onion seed packet says to plant in August, am I being stupid..just want to plant some veg now for winter harvest..potatoes etc.

Comment

Are these onions or spring onions?
              Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Onions I think..sorry vague but in work at moment and seeds in shed at home. Onions up at plot nearly ready for harvest but wanted some winter ones if possible.

Comment

Sorry Guy, but I don't think there's such a thing as winter "onions". Onions are planted later in the year to grow on over winter and be harvested the following year. Then you store your crop to see you through the winter. Leeks are for winter eating!!
                  As pdblake says, you can get Winter hardy spring onions - like White Lisbon.

Comment

ThanksVC, still very wet behind ears and need all advice. What I have planted seems to be coming on..harvested about a third of my beetroot crop yesterday..not to bad...I think?
                    Attached Files

Comment

You're doing really well - I don't have a single beetroot worth picking yet I'm sowing runner beans today because I forgot to do it at the right time - so don't follow my example - I'm hopeless

Comment

OH doesn't do peas or beans either..it must be the air here in Llandudno..she's a Geordie. ;-)

Comment

Dare I ask what does she eat?

Comment

My potatoes..onions..;-)

Comment

Yes, you can sow your onions now to grow over winter and crop next year. I shall be doing so as soon as I get a moment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X