Calabrese

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabrese

For a couple of years I have tried to grow calabrese. The plants do fine but only produce very small heads. The soil is in good heart and everything else in the brassica family does well.

Can anyone tell me the secret please?
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

How small is a small head? I think I read somewhere that garden grown ones are not usually anything like the size of most in the shops although I'd have to say mine are. For what it's worth water and pee are what work for me but if all your other brassicas are fine then that's probably not the answer, either.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Cut the main head once it forms and the side shoots are the ones - you will get 6/8 weeks of these beauties.
      Last edited by leonmc0708; 25-07-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Are you saying the side shoots grow bigger than the main head leon? My side shoots are more like sprouting broccoli size! But then my main heads have been small too, like roitlet's.
        sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

The heads are about the size of a wine glass and there are no signs of side shoots. I have just put some more in the tunnel so will try feeding them and see if it makes a difference. If not for the amount of space they take up they are not worth it and I will grow something else.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

As long as you have a freezer F1 hybrid varieties are the way to go. They all come at once though.

I grow F1 Belstar and have good results!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I grow Green Magic 9 to the square metre and have good results with a good main curd and loads of side shoots. The only down side as Snadger said is they all come in short space of time.

1st pic is the florets of one plant, the second to give an idea of how big the curds are.

Potty
              Attached Files
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                The heads are about the size of a wine glass and there are no signs of side shoots. I have just put some more in the tunnel so will try feeding them and see if it makes a difference. If not for the amount of space they take up they are not worth it and I will grow something else.
                My head's like a wine glass too roitlet (hmmm.. ) - but you should get shoots if you chop it's head off. And I put in 9 to a sq m like Potty. From the sound of the following posts, I'll try F1s next year though.
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Mine are Franchi - Gentleman. I was just about to post that it's not F1 but I just checked and according to the web site it is but the packet doesn't say so (or I probably wouldn't have bought it, I try to limit F1 buying.) It's very hard to argue with the results from a production point of view.
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                    Are you saying the side shoots grow bigger than the main head leon? My side shoots are more like sprouting broccoli size! But then my main heads have been small too, like roitlet's.
                    I get the main heads off early to encourage more bigger side shoots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X