An amazing year for strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An amazing year for strawberries

I have everbearing strawberries at the allotment (can't remember which variety) They have given me a great crop for the last few years. All the originals are long gone and my present plants are probably 3rd generation of them. They give me strawberries from June to September and countless runners which are usually in great demand from everyone who tries them.

This year, however, they are surpassing themselves. I didn't lose my first flowers as we didn't get a late frost, the strawberries seem to taste sweeter and (touch wood) slug and bird damage is minimal despite no netting.

I wondered if I am lucky this year or if there is a good strawberry crop generally
    Attached Files

Our strawbs have been fantastic this year too. Huge, tasty and lots of them.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

By the looks of things we'll be eating our first strawbs in the next couple of days, can't wait.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've been really pleased with our strawberries this year as well.

Huge!

That lot got turned into a yummy strawberry sorbet over the weekend.
        Attached Files
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Worst year I've ever had for strawberries. About a third of my plants came up blind this year and I don't know why or whether to keep these plants as they look healthy. That hasn't happened before The ones that did have flowers cropped well and the fruit has been good
          Last edited by bend1pa; 03-07-2013, 02:55 AM.

Comment

After losing my strawberry crops to badgers# ,birds and squirrels for the past 5 years, I now grow them in pots under cover hidden from wandering animals and birds. The limted number so far have been very tasty.. but only 15 so far so too early to say.

# think destruction of nets, cloches and excrement.

Comment

It seems that the slugs and snails are going for my strawberries this year. Only lost a few but the ones that have survived have been fantastic
              An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

A couple from yesterday
                Attached Files
                In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Harvested my first strawbs today, even managed to bring them home without munching them. Can't wait for that first taste.

Last year I got none coz I didn't get them covered but this year we built cages and there are loads of them. Happy plotter
                  My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've got lots, but they are all still green. I've got them in two jumbo herb planters either side of the greenhouse door and check every day, can't wait!

Comment

sun out in warm Devon - and it's certainly ripened these !
                      Attached Files

Comment

Picking a large 'punnet ' every day, have given some to neighbour, and even had to make jam, really really delicious.

Mind you I did look after them with love. X
                        DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                          I wondered if I am lucky this year or if there is a good strawberry crop generally
                          The paper had a piece the other day about how the long cold spell has been very good for the UK strawberry crop
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine are almost over another week or so, but raspberries are looking good, and this will be their first year
                            DottyR

Comment

I'm still waiting for a ripe strawberry........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X