Garlic - Is it easy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic - Is it easy?

A ronseal thread! As we use it in most things we thought we'd try to grow some of our own

What's the best way to start? Are there different varieties? Is this another addition for my greenhouse?

Thanks everyone!

I don't grow garlic as we don't eat it so not the most detailed answer from me, but if my memory serves me right you plant on the shortest day (December) and harvest on the longest day (today!) or thereabouts. So even with my limited knowledge now is not the time to plant it! It grows outside but I think you can start it off in modules or pots if the soil is unworkable at planting time, ready to plant out when conditions improve. There are different types - hard neck and soft neck but how they differ I really don't know. Sorry not very helpful! Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Comment

Seperate the head into cloves and plant the largest in from October onwards until December. I plant mine 6ins apart in rows 6 - 9 ins apart. Harvest when 2/3 of the leaves turn yellow, hang to dry in a dark airy place and there you are, easy.

Due to the weather mine is not ready to harvest yet probably another 3 weeks or so.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I start mine off in cell trays in November (ish) and they stay in the unheated greenhouse until March, then they go in the ground (mine really don't do well outside all winter)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I plant softneck garlic direct into the soil sometime between November and February every year, depending when I have time, when I remember and also depending on the weather. I usually plant some of the garlic from last years crop and also a different variety from the garden centre.

You split the head into individual cloves to plant.

I usually pick them around this time of year but this year they will be late; not ready yet. I hang them up to dry and then plait them in strings for winter use. I keep the strings hung from the rafters in my shed. Some of it is given away as presents. I'm just using the last of last years.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by greenishfing; 21-06-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

The first time I've ever grown garlic was this year and its going a lot better then I expected.
            My goal was to grow green garlic, garlic grown to about the size of a spring onion.
            I planted 2 organic bulbs (split up of course) from a supermarket into flower buckets in the greenhouse in about 10 weeks ago. Within about a month they were are usable size, so got moved outside, I've been using them since.
            In the last week or so the leaves started to yellow considerably and the last few I've harvested have have started to bulb and segment. I plan on leaving ~4 per bucket to get to full size.

Very easy to grow, so far.
            Apart from randomly removing dead leaves, weeds and watering when its been dry I've not done anything to them. Well apart from eating them, best thing about it is the chickens won't touch it so I don't have to net them.

Comment

I have just under a hundred cloves planted 18th Nov last year. Same date as the year before too as it is the date we moved into our new house and were itching to get growing. Sort of a new tradition

They are coming along nicely and wil be getting used fairly soon, maybe another 3 weeks or so. Just popped out to have a look at the bulb development... a good golf ball size on the Marco, more of a big spring onion bulb on the Christo.
              When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
              If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

As everyone says, it is fairly straightforward to grow....Keep the bed well weeded when they are young is my advice...
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Oh, and I don't really pay them much attention either - other than a handfull of chicken poo pellets when feeding the other veggies they share a bed with and watering when dry.
                  When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                  If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

I plant soft necked cloves directly into the soil, usually in November. Then I leave them. Come the spring they'll probably need a gentle weed which I do by hand, and then just keep on top of the weeds through summer.

I'd say that garlic is the easiest & most rewarding crop I grow. We use it all the time and haven't really bought much garlic in the last 3 years. Only when our stocks run out or doesn't store properly (hell of a time trying to dry it last year).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X