Dwarf French Beans with Sweetcorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf French Beans with Sweetcorn

OK planted my sweetcorn yesterday, in a block. Foot spacing all round between each one. Could I fill these gaps with a DFB or if not a good idea, what else?
    Thanks in advance.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

am sure theres a 3 plant system that says grow corn, beans and squash in same bed.
    am sure someone will know.
    '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

I'm not sure about DFB, never thought about it, but it sounds plausible. I have filled the gaps with cucumber, courgette, salad mixed leaves and rocket.

Would like to hear what others have done and their successes.

Comment

Are you going to be able to reach all the plants to harvest them?

I don't eat fresh beans, I leave them all to dry on the plants, gathering them all in during late August
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I once grew butternut squash and climbing french beans among the sweetcorn.

It was moderately successful; the corn was fine, the squash was rampant and gave a big harvest ... but the beans were mostly smothered by the squash and I didn't get much of a crop except round the edges.

If I did it again, I'd give the beans a bit longer before planting the squashes. But I'm not going to do it again until I've found a palatable way of eating squash!

I might try it with just climbing french beans though, I'll let you know how it goes.
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Are you going to be able to reach all the plants to harvest them?

I don't eat fresh beans, I leave them all to dry on the plants, gathering them all in during late August
            I think I fancy having dry beans for soups/casseroles, so I like this idea - thank you.
            Polytunnel handbook suggested French Beans and I know people always do it with climbers, but was unsure on dwarf variety.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Think I'd be doing salads inbetween at best. Shallow roots and low growing - we love sweetcorn, so wouldn't want anything to prejudice the corn harvest personally.
              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

This year I've put my courgettes with my sweetcorn but dwarf beans sounds like a plan for next year
                An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X