Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some of my Garlic has flower heads forming

Hi all
    Is it normal for garlic to form flower heads? they are an IOW type and also a couple of elephant garlic are doing the same. They were planted last November and are about a foot or so high, some leaves are starting to yellow as normal, but have never known them to form flower heads before Probably just due to the weird weather?

Most of the onion family will go to seed when they get a little dried out, it triggers a response to send a seed head up. Whenever my onions do this I simply cut/pull the flower head off to stop the plant putting all its effort into the head as opposed to the bulb.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Okay, will do that. Thanks Mikey.

Comment

If you cut the heads off whilst in bud, fry them in butter & enjoy. They are called Scapes & taste of mild garlic - yummy!

Comment

if you notice from the shop bought garlic, there is the stump of a stalk. That is the stalk of the flower head so garlic is expected to throw a flower head from the original clove

Comment

Right. Will be snipping and watering later on.

Comment

Hardneck garlic is supposed to throw up a flower head (this is known as a scape). Just cut the flower head off as soon as you notice it.

As Flowerpot says, you can fry them in butter or oil or add to a salad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X