Runner Beans, Peas and Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Beans, Peas and Broad beans

This is my first year on the allotment I'm not sure if I should be feeding the beans and peas ? Some things I read suggest that you should feed every two weeks and others say nothing ??
    So feed or not to feed :-)

I guess it depends what your soil is like Bezzer. If it's in good condition with plenty of organic matter you shouldn't need to feed, just make sure you water well when in flower. If your soils not in good heart then a feed might give them a boost, just be careful not to overdo it, you don't want a load of sappy growth.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I don't feed my runner beans directly, I plant them over a trench which was filled with compost and leafy growh from the previous year. My peas and broad beans get a weak solution of comfrey or nettle tea diluted roughly 10 to 1.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Legumes fix their own food (nitrogen), they're famous for it
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If they're in the ground then you shouldn't need to do anything so long as you prepared the soil before planting (although to be honest you don't really need to do that with peas). Apart from when I've planted out I've never, ever watered or fed any legume and always get a good crop.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

just keep your runner beans well watered ,nature will do the rest
            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X