Black Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tomatoes

For some reason i've never grown or even tried a black/brown tomato but I started reading about them the other day and have become extremely intrigued by the claims of a more complex flavour.

I've ordered some seeds in to trial next year: Black Krim and Black Cherry and i'm willing to make room for another variety or two, so, what are your fave black toms and why?

Black cherry went wild in my greenhouse last year. Lovely and sweet and definitely plentiful.

I'm trying Black Russian this year, heard they are quite hardy so trying one in the greenhouse and one outside.

Comment

This is my 3 year growing Black Cherry and like darloboy says they are sweet and tasty plus i found that they kept well.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We grow one every year that was labelled as 'Eva Purple Ball' but grew out as a small plum shape. On investigation it actually appears to be the unadventurously named 'Purple Plum', but is a prolific fruiter of small, thin skinned brown-ish plum tomatoes of a really lovely flavour. Great fresh or made into sauce. Definitely worth seeking out from one of the heirloom tomato seed enthusiasts

Comment

I grew black cherry for the first time a couple of years ago, and they went wild in the greenhouse, loads of really lovely fruit. Last year they weren't so prolific, but to be fair, the weather was rubbish. Hoping for a bit of sun this summer...

Comment

Growing Black Cherry for the third successive year. One of my top three favourite tomatoes. Very prolific, excellent balance of acidity and sweetness, tolerates irregular watering better than most, good vigor, and they make an unusual contrast of colour both on the plant and on the table.

I've tried growing Black Russian at least three times. No luck so far. Each attempt has produced just a handful of tomatoes, but they've not been attractive or palatable. I have always tried them under glass; in hindsight I think they're supposed to be grown outdoors. So maybe I'll try one more time, outside.

Comment

I have 20 very sad looking Black Russian in pots on the patio . Think I may be getting my toms from tesco this year

Comment

I'm also a black cherry fan! Grow it every year, it's always one of the biggest plants, good cropper and tastes fab

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post

I've tried growing Black Russian at least three times. No luck so far.
                  Hmm, I didn't have much luck with those last year either (under glass) I presumed it was the weather. I'm trying again this year ....

Comment

I grew a black tomato of some description last year and the plant was a tatty mess. I took the orrible looking toms off and binned the plant. I thought "I may as well have a taste". They were a taste sensation, sweet and luscious.
                    I kept the seed and now have half a dozen plants for this year.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Hmm, I didn't have much luck with those last year either (under glass) I presumed it was the weather. I'm trying again this year ....
                      Me too, 2 years ago, lovely crop of blight Sounds like Black Cherry are the future, next year Rodney.....

Comment

Another Black Cherry enthusiast here, they're best picked when still a bit green looking IMO. If you wait any longer til they look ripe - then I think they're a bit squashy and tasteless.

I also like Black Sea Man which is a strong bushy plant (determinate) with lovely big beefsteak toms early on, but they're a bit smaller and more of them later in the season

Comment

Black Russian and Black Cherry for me! Third year I've grown them (from seed saved the first year) and Rasputin III, Ivan and Natalia are doing very nicely thank-you. I'm experimenting with leaving one of the Black Cherry as a bush, while nipping out the others side shoots as usual.
                          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Black russian and black cherry for me too, both excellent croppers and the taste is superb!!!

Comment

Ive got two Black Cherries outdoors this year, first time for me but by the sounds of it I'm in for a treat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X