Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence fennel advice

hello all

Is any one experienced in fennel bulb? I have read its no good to transplant it as it starts to bolt, and also it is a bad companion plant to everything!!

We have some from a council nursary that were in modules so I transplanted them and want to put them in a raised bed......but now I don't know what to do!

Never had any success really when Ive tried them from seed either!

Any tips, experience gladly taken
    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

I grew some cracking fennel last year JS. Just treated it like any other veg. Sowed seed into modules, pricked out and potted on as appropriate and then into the soil. I had no specific space, so popped them in randomly next to bras and roots where I could. I even put a couple in the flower border under an apple tree. They all thrived, though were quick to bolt as I had sowed them what turned out to be a little early. I'm waiting for another couple of weeks before I sow some. They look brilliant and smell divine and you get the added bonus of fennel seed if you want it. Good luck
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Great, that's what I've done too! But Id read so many times that fennel bulb does not like to be transplanted, then I read it effectively kills a lot of other plants! Thanks for reassuring me! I love the stuff! Although I am doing an experiment as well, some early sown and some I will sow on Midsummers day.

Cheers me dear xx
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I wonder if it will kill couch grass I'd go round all the edges with it.!!

I have only grown it once and did well with it, but I did sow it in late july and had no bolting. That's the only info I can give. Hope it helps.
        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I just planted some from the garden centre (12 plugs reduced to 50p, figured I could give it a go). They are about 10-15 cm high now. I was planning to grow them in the same raised bed as celeriac- now i'm worried about the companion planting thing... should I be ok?

Comment

Florence Fennel when they start to appear do they look like two blades of grass and a wiffly little bit in the middle? I put some in and something is sprouting, but it could be anything!
            You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Salome, I just looked in my companion planting book and it says fennel is a bad companion for Beans, tomatoes, kohlrabi, coriander and wormwood. It likes being near dill and also coriander! - so I have no idea if it's going to get on with coriander or not - just don't put it near coriander and it'll be ok!! what a daft book!

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Also, interestingly, it's good for dogs as it deters fleas. But I have no idea if it's herb fennel or bulb fennel, this book needs to be updated I fear

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X