Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowers, herbs, veg etc to grow around blueberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers, herbs, veg etc to grow around blueberries?

I'm keen to grow something between my blueberry plants, partly as ground cover/to retain moisture. But I am a little stuck because they do like an acid soil and I'm not sure what else does.

I'm not fussy about what, specifically, and it doesn't have to be an edible, but I'd like something that will act as ground cover to some extent. Also that doesn't mind being in a fruit cage, so I suppose nothing that grows to a great height!

Any thoughts? I can't think of anything!

Hi Edith.

Not something I know much about so I had a search. The following might help and I am sure that someone on here will know more

Growing Herbs
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
    If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Basil and thyme, according to this site:
      Acid Loving Companion Plants for Blueberries | Home Guides | SF Gate
      I had to cheat and look it up too!
      Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

Originally posted by Edith View Post
        I'm keen to grow something between my blueberry plants, partly as ground cover/to retain moisture.
        Good idea. Bare soil leads to erosion, desertification, evaporation etc etc.

I grow limnanthes around & under all my fruit
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Basil and thyme? I never would have thought basil, but I like this idea!

two_sheds limanthes-poached egg plant if my memory serves me correctly? I know it sounds daft but does it self seed well?

I did a load of googling too, and what I came up with, that surprised me actually, was nasturtium. But that will work also, I think. Its great for ground cover. My issue would be that it does take its time to get going and in the interim, just when the blueberries are gearing up to do their stuff, the ground will be bare. Will have a look at the poached egg plant deffo and will also think about growing basil and thyme along their path

I have ten three year old (but moved this season, of necessity) blueberries in around probably twelve square metres so plenty of ground space between them! Especially right now as they were pruned before the move.
          Last edited by Edith; 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM.

Comment

You could put a mulch around the bushes until whatever you want to grow, grows!......Pine needles, coffee grounds, cardboard.....whatever you can find!

Comment

What about putting a growbag down (helps cover some space), and plant a squash or courgette plant in the growbag and letting it trail round the spare space.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Good idea. Bare soil leads to erosion, desertification, evaporation etc etc.

I grow limnanthes around & under all my fruit
                I am thinking of sowing this around my raspberry fedge - good idea or not?
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Duncan the squash plant idea-that is genius that is :-).

Planted a lot of nasturtiums yesterday-will report back! Am also going to put down the poached egg plant in quantity.

Could have sworn it was edible but can't find anything to support this.
                  Last edited by Edith; 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

we get the alpine strawbs self seeding under the blueberries,i dont know if thats a problem but i leave most of them and just enjoy them,they dont seem to mind, either of them..

Comment

like that too buffs might try putting some seed down

the big advantage we have is that we net the blueberries meaning that seeds that otherwise might be eaten by birds often get a chance to grow :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X