Powdery Mildew on Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdery Mildew on Courgettes

As a rule I sow curcubits sucessionally to beat this. I am on first batch-still in greenhouse-and courgettes showing powdery mildew 3-4 of 8 leaves and i'm slightly suspect about a couple of Japanese cucumbers. I planted out 1 of each variety of courgette 10 days ago at lottie but couldn't go today and check them to see. (annoying but I could reasonably discard others and replant if those are ok.) The cukes were expensive seed though. Hessayon suggests carbendazim-no longer available to me.

I dropped in at the garden centre to be told I could use Bayer's systemic 'fungus fighter' containing myclobuteril. the mix your own bottle said you could use on some fruit but I plumped for the ready mix -same ingredient (against all my anti-chemical instincts). I got this stuff home and it says 'do not use on foodcrops.'

Actually 'dropped in' belies the inconveinence -plus the expense. I'm pretty fed up- can I use this stuff? or is there something else I could try? or a green and groovy alternative?

Thank you very much LJ. and you even spelt it right...i was even looking at the bottle

Comment

I have looked it up in my 2007 UK Pesticide Guide - it is a systemic protectant and curative conazole fungicide.

It IS approved on some edible crops (mainly fruit) but not for cucumbers or courgettes. Although i have just found an 'off label' approval for it on protected and outdoor courgette, and protected cucumber. The harvest interval on this is 3 days. Bear in mind this is a professional product approval so the quantity of active ingredient will be different to your ready to spray bottle. Yours is likely to be much weaker in soultion.

details here: https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/off...t.asp?pageno=2

I'm sure it will be fine.

As an alternative for the future - powdery mildew requires hot and dry conditions, so keep the plants moist, mist young plants if possible and increase ventilation. You can also try a garlic spray, or anything that is citrus based.
      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
      Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
        Regulations are changing all the time. My RHS book was published in 2002 so it is fairly new but just how are we supposed to keep up with the changes?

I know - its a nightmare keeping up with whats still approved!

The PSD website has databases of all registered, approved products, and SOLA database (specific off label approvals). look here: http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/psd_databases.asp but do bear in mind these are mostly professional products. There is a garden pesticides database specifically for amateur products (its on the list on that link) which is probably more use for GYO's
        Happy Gardening!

Comment

Thanks Protea.
          Again you tell me of garlic spray. Can I make this myself?
          I did spray but i cut the 2" mini cougettes off first i enjoyed them flowers and all. Then planted it out in the rain next day. The cukes did have it but not anywhere near flowering yet.
          If a plant has the problem is damping down enoughto cure it or is it just a preventative measure?
          No sign of Pmild on those planted at the allotment.
          Will be sowing follow on batch soon.
          I do have friends with spray licences but it is not really my ethos as you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
            Thanks Protea.
            Again you tell me of garlic spray. Can I make this myself?
            I did spray but i cut the 2" mini cougettes off first i enjoyed them flowers and all. Then planted it out in the rain next day. The cukes did have it but not anywhere near flowering yet.
            If a plant has the problem is damping down enoughto cure it or is it just a preventative measure?
            No sign of Pmild on those planted at the allotment.
            Will be sowing follow on batch soon.
            I do have friends with spray licences but it is not really my ethos as you know.
            damping down is a preventative measure - but make sure you don't keep them wet as then you'll encourage other diseases (like downy mildew and blight - both water spread!). its never ending!!

The garlic spray you might be able to make yourself, but you can buy it off the shelf more easily. Its a garlic extract, rather than crushed garlic, if that makes sense?

The brand i know of is called New Horizon garlic barrier, google it and you should find a supplier. I've also seen it in a few garden centres.
            Happy Gardening!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X