Pots for tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots for tomatoes

I was wondering which pots or types of pots everybody uses for growing their tomatoes in in the greenhouse and poly tunnel.
    I have seen mention of used flower containers from supermarkets but if I cant get hold of them what other options are there.
    I like those big colourful trugs that you can get in supermarkets that are about £4 each, but I would have to cut holes in the bottoms of them.
    What does everybody else use?
    Lynne x

Wizz I now grow my toms in the GH border but before that I grew them outside in black builders buckets that had holes drilled in the sides about an inch from the base.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

am growing mine in 14ltr black plastic buckets, holes in base.
      '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

Thanks guys. That is looking like a popular option.
        What do you make the holes with? Screwdriver or anything pointy? I think I meant to say is are they difficult to make holes in.... I don't have very strong hands for gripping. I'm a good digger though lol. swings and roundabouts!
        Lynne x

Comment

Wizz if you don't have a drill then use a metal skewer get it hot and use that to poke holes, that way you won't split the buckets.
          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 30-04-2013, 06:02 AM.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

i used an old soldering iron, works a treat.
            '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

I'll do that Bren, thanks.
              Shall I use ordinary multi purpose stuff to grow in, I often buy the 3 for two type that you get at the famous diy store.
              I cant trust my own compost because of Japanese knotweed being in the garden and I don't know if the previous owners of the house put any on the heaps so I'm not using it for at least a year so I can monitor what grows on it.
              I have started my own compost but it will be next year before I can use that for anything.
              Lynne x

Comment

Multi-purpose is fine Lynne. It's what I use.

Home-made compost is better used as mulch on beds.

Comment

I use the 30cm or 40cm round orange planters from Wilkinsons....reduced to £1
                  Last edited by Yorkshire.Dave; 30-04-2013, 09:57 AM.
                  -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
                  Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

Morrisons sell the black buckets used for cut flowers. Last year they were 99p for eight, some folks manage to get them free!!!!!!!!!!! maybe thats why they are so popular.

Being a plumber I use 15mm cooper tube heated on th gas stove to make the holes.

Potty
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ill have to see what I can do at morrisons potty.
                      Thanks for that.
                      Lynne x

Comment

Hi Lynne
                        Like some others, my toms are grown in the raised bed down one side of the GH. I use the Morrisons flower buckets on staging for chillis and aubergines, and on the floor for cucumbers and melons... I've used a basic drill to make holes in these - works fine!
                        good luck

Comment

hi lynne
                          got some morrisons buckets weeks ago never seen them since last week asked one of the staff that was sorting flowers out about the buckets and he went out the back and and came back with eleven for 99p
                          give it a go ask if they have got any as they dont always have them on the shop floor

Comment

B &M and Home Bargains are selling 14-16ins wide tubs for £1.99,they are in black but if you want you could slap some paint on them to brighten things,i got one of those topsy turvy kits from xcess stock last week for £1.99 as well,i have a tomato in and its now hanging in the back greenhouse,so fingers crossed..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X