Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackcurrants, Redcurrants, Raspberry and Tayberry...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackcurrants, Redcurrants, Raspberry and Tayberry...

Evening all,

So over the weekend I accidentally on purpose bought a small Rasberry and a Tayberry plant (they are much more like plants than canes right now). I also did a similar accidental purchase the next day and bought a small blackcurrant and a redcurrant plant.

It was abit impulse but I do love soft fruit... and they were only cheap. They were £2.50 each so...

Now, I'm not expecting any fruit off them this year but I would like some advice off anyone who has grown any of these. I am considering containers for some and the ground for others. Curious about space, and or container size and also if they will happily grow in with vegetables.

Also any general advice would be great because I don't wanna waste them now I've got them. Are they hardy?

Many Thanks

GrimChili

They're all hardy and I personally wouldn't grow any of them in pots

Comment

Ditto.

My currant bushes are about 6' wide and high.

Comment

Fruit growing guide here http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow...-Z/Redcurrants

Guide for tayberries here How To Grow Tayberry - Planting & Care - Soft Fruit - TAYBERRY - Scotplantsdirect.co.uk

I definitely wouldn't grow any of them in containers. I have blackcurrants and redcurrants and they take up quite a bit of space. Easy to take cuttings from too, so you will be able to increase your stock next year for free.

I have a loganberry (similar to tayberry) and that is planted at the allotment and trained across a metal bean frame. The canes produced last year (to fruit this summer) are ten to twelve feet long.

Comment

Just a minute until I put my moderators head on..............*shuffles away.............ouch, oh I know whats a matter..........this head has a left hand thread*

Right, said in an authorative voice "Should this post not be in the Feeling Fruity section"?

Retrieves original head!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have all of them in pots they do ok but if I had the room they would be in the ground.

Comment

Woah!

Is that black, white or red?

How long did they take to get that big? I was reading somewhere cuttings are relatively easy to take, is this right? As I live in rented accomodation, I never like planting something I couldn't potentially take with me... but hey they were so cheap!

Comment

Cuttings are easy from all of the currants. Whenever I prune them I shove the cuttings in the soil - that's why I'm over-run by fruit bushes

Comment

Snadger, apologies, will take more note of where I post in the future!

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  Thanks for these RustyLady, will have a good read up after work tomorrow!

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Cuttings are easy from all of the currants. Whenever I prune them I shove the cuttings in the soil - that's why I'm over-run by fruit bushes
                  I like the sound of that, one day I hope to have a huge garden where I can do stuff like that... I'm really trying to go all out this year to learn a lot so I can be productive with a small garden get my training in and then when I finally manage to buy somewhere I'll go mad haha!

I've read currants will be ok with a bit of shade too so I think I may have an ideal spot for them.

Cheers Again All!

GrimChili
                  Last edited by GrimChili; 28-04-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimChili View Post
                    Woah!

Is that black, white or red?

How long did they take to get that big? I was reading somewhere cuttings are relatively easy to take, is this right? As I live in rented accomodation, I never like planting something I couldn't potentially take with me... but hey they were so cheap!
                    Mine? They'll be 4 years old this autumn I didn't prune them last year as I have been busy with other projects.

Mine are on an east facing wall, so only recieve a few hours sunlight each morning, but I get masses and masses of fruit. Last year after picking 5 kilos of blackcurrants I gave up. My chickens stripped the rest (quite amusing watching them jumping up high).

My blackcurrant is my most prolific, followed by red, then white. I prefer the taste of the white ones though - the others I've made into cordials before.

Comment

Oh and snadge, it is in the fruity forum?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X