runner beans in flower buckets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runner beans in flower buckets

I am going to be sowing runner beans in the conservatory soon. Next weekend probably.

When warm enough I will then pot on into flower buckets.

Question is, could I grow 2 per bucket?

Advice welcomed.....

Thanks

By flower buckets I presume you mean the big ones that shops display their cut flowers in.

I would have thought you could grow 3 to a bucket. Have you thought how you are going to support them?

Comment

The book says 4-8 in square foot gardening,so taking 6 as the average per square foot,2 in an 8" pot will be fine
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

yes, the big ones that shops display flowers in, as I have LOADS of them.

Supporting them is easy, as I am going to line the buckets up along my small fence, then I will fix bean poles to fence.

Great, 2 per bucket it is.

I cant believe how many can be grown in such a small bucket!

Especially as I am planning on only growing one chilli plant per one of these buckets!

Comment

Have you tried ... Topik F1-PP01906,Hot Pepper | Sativa ... if you want to give them a go I will pass some seeds onto VC at the weekend

Comment

they look good. Yes I would love to give them a go!!!!

Are you going to see VC this weekend, at the RHS show?

As I might be going myself.....

Comment

Yep,we shall be there The packet will be going in the VVS but I shall put some aside with your name on

Comment

Be good to see you there CG - I suggest we meet at 10.30 near the RHS stand - I'll put that on the Meet-up thread. At least I'll recognise you CG

Comment

ok great,

Hopefully we can make it. (I will know later on).

Should be fine though. I will book tickets online tonight.

Thanks BB. hopefully I will see you there.

I only have some white lady runner beans to offer in return....

VC - I will check out the meet up thread soon.....
                  See you soon.

Comment

Don't forget the once the bean plants start growing they will need lots of water. Plus feeding.
                    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
                      Thanks BB. hopefully I will see you there.

I only have some white lady runner beans to offer in return....
                      No swap asked CG I got them thinking they were sweet peppers hence the packet going into VVS

Comment

ok great, thank you

Comment

I have been growing runners in buckets for some years now.

I have tried two to the bucket with very limited success. The root system damn near fills the bucket leaving very little space/compost for watering and feeding.

I now only allow one plant per bucket and find I actually get a better crop. Watering can still be a problem in the hottest days of summer, sometimes twice a day is needed. You will have to feed at least twice a week to get enough nutrients into the plant for a good crop.

I also have some large 22" pots in which I can get three plants per pot.

Potty
                          Attached Files
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I used to grow runners in tubs, 3 plants in approx 20l container and they were ok but not brilliant. I think flower buckets are usually about 10l? The main issue that I had was the pots falling over whenever the wind picked up so make sure you fasten them well to the fence!

Comment

ok, well, i will do 1 per bucket on most of them. And will try 2 per bucket on a couple.....

THank you for the pics...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X