Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing / revitalising raspberries

Hello all,

I have a patch of raspberry canes on my plot which I inherited. (I've had the plot for 8 years now). For the first few years they were amazingly prolific, but the last couple, they've really tailed off. Now I'm not sure if this is because I need to replace them, or if its just the poor summers.

I was thinking of mulching them with a mixture of rotted compost and top soil this year, probably next weekend. They've not really started growing yet, still a couple inches from the ground where I chopped them down in January.

Do I need to think about pulling them all up,and replacing with new canes?

Many thanks,
    Vicki

What have you been feeding them up to now?

Comment

Are they Summer fruiting or Autumn fruiting?

Comment

Autumn fruiting.

I give them a bit of potash and water if they look dry.

Comment

I'd be tempted to give them a feed, mulch really well and then give them some seaweed feed when they start growing.
          Digging them out is hard work so I'd give them a good start and see how they do.

Seaweed feed might be good for them when they start growing.

Soil pH is worth checking.

Comment

I inherited some raspberry canes on my plot and I planned to move them to a new spot this year. In the end I decided to get some new canes as the existing one's had been in for well over 10 years.

Worth bearing in mind that it's recommended to put them in a different spot if you do decide to give the existing ones the heave ho!
            http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

i give mine some home made compost over them in march (autumn fruiting) as they are gross feeders,without that the soil would soon be undernourished,you wouldnt expect your car to run without fuel would you?some blood,fish and bone wouldnt do any harm and might save you having to lift them..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X