Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I grow spinach/beetroot in the same bed as last year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I grow spinach/beetroot in the same bed as last year?

I want to grow spinach and beetroot in the same bed as last year. Spinach did really well there last year and its the shadiest spot on my plot, so I don't know what else would thrive there. I've read about crop rotation and understand the principal, but will spinach really fail if I plant it there again this year?
    He-Pep!

Principle! Tut tut Neil.
    He-Pep!

Comment

No reason why it should fail. I think the main reason for crop rotation is to prevent a build-up of disease and pests that are specific to one particular crop.

Lettuce and radish should do well in the shade too.

Comment

Spinach and beet are in the same family. My main rule of thumb is not to follow like with like, but both rarely get any pests or diseases so you should be fine.

Comment

I am very limited for space and grow Swiss Chard and Perpetual Spinach (both related to beets) in the same place year after year, just give them some compost between sowings, no problems thus far.

a-a

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
            its the shadiest spot on my plot, so I don't know what else would thrive there.
            Lettuce likes shade

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            the main reason for crop rotation is to prevent a build-up of disease and pests
            ... and soil depletion. Growing the same (greedy, eg spuds ) crop every year is going to seriously take a lot of goodness out of the soil, if it's not replaced
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

growing the same crop in the same space for a couple of years will not cause any problem at all.

Comment

Great, that's reassuring! Thanks all.
                He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X