Too cold/wet for planting potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too cold/wet for planting potatoes?

I'm planning to plant my firsts on Good Friday, however with a covering of snow this weekend, should I wait until the weather warms up a little!?

There's no hurry. With the soil this cold they are better off staying in their chitting trays or even in the bag you bought them in - they aren't going to make any growth until it gets a bit warmer.

If the forecast improves I might put some in on Easter Monday, otherwise I'm going to wait until the following weekend.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

You should plant them when you can dig the soil without needing to defrost it with a blowtorch.
        If you are having to scrape snow off then you shouldn't be planting.

They reckon 6'C soil temperature for growing things.

You could place cloches or covers over land to help it warm up. But I'd be wary of covering frosty land.

Comment

Originally posted by njperky View Post
          I'm planning to plant my firsts on Good Friday, however with a covering of snow this weekend, should I wait until the weather warms up a little!?
          absolutely no point in planting in this weather.

Comment

I'm planting one a week in the unheated gh, in 5" pots, for an experiment. They'll go on the plot when it thaws out

You must have heard the traditional way of telling if it's warm enough to plant? Sit on the soil with a bare ar$e
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You could always plant some (if you are really that eager) in sacks, about 6in compost in the bottom, put it 3 potato's another 6in of compost and another 3, then a couple of in of compost on that, and every time you see the shoots coming through, just add another inch of compost until your all the way up to the top. Put in the Greenhouse until it warms up, then place them (in the sack) outside.
              http://theallotmentplot.weebly.com/index.html

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                I'm planting one a week in the unheated gh, in 5" pots, for an experiment. They'll go on the plot when it thaws out
                I'm doing that too TS http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...und_69373.html

Comment

Some of mine are in the ground already.

I had two varieties whose chitted shoots were quite long and sturdy so I planted some in buckets and some straight into the ground. The two varieties were Anya and Maris Piper.

I planted these on March 8, but a quick look on the plot on Saturday showed that they have much more sense than me and hadn't stirred from their beds as yet.

I has still got some Salad Blue, Cassablanca, Bambino and Pentlan Javelin chitting at home and just waiting for some nice weather.

I have a feeling they could be there for a while .....

Andy
                  http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I took some to the plot last Thursday then decided it was not worth planting them due to the weather so gave them to the garden club will be interesting to see if they come up?
                    Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
                      I took some to the plot last Thursday then decided it was not worth planting them due to the weather so gave them to the garden club will be interesting to see if they come up?
                      Are you not growing potatoes this year then?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X