Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unheated greenhouse for onions/shallots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unheated greenhouse for onions/shallots?

apologies - I know there's been a few threads about planting out.

I am trying to be really strict with myself about planting too early, just no point if it's going to get cold, however I am worrying a bit about the onion and shallot sets. My greenhouse is unheated (and has a few whistly gaps) but I thought if I planted out my sets in modules, they'd be protected from the frosts which seem to be on the horizon for the next week or so, and would get going in the warm-ish days.

I'm sure shallots are supposed to go out in Feb...

advice, comfort, anything really.

just watch the fierce spring sunshine and don't let them dry out. Otherwise, wait for w wee mild spell and then set them out in the garden

Comment

thanks! Will do.

Comment

The sets will be fine in an unheated greenhouse. Shallots are traditionally planted on the shortest day of the year so stand up to most of the weather the UK can throw at them. Onions can stand some pretty cold temps too. Dont worry, they will be rooting happily, although it may be a while before top growth appears.

Comment

thanks both, am comforted - will put them in the GH in the next day or so.

Comment

I put my second planting down on the 23rd March last year and if my notes are to be believed they did as well if not better than the early planting in the GH.

Why not plant some in the GH and leave some for later, double bubble so to speak.

Potty
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Here's a link which you might like: BBC Two - Gardeners' World, 2011, Episode 1, Monty Don sows beetroot and plants shallots into cell trays

a-a

Comment

Sets will be fine i have mine in trays in the greenhouse and half the door glass is missing and mine are doing just fine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X