Have I killed the asparagus crowns?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I killed the asparagus crowns?

I got some discounted asparagus crown in the garden centre in Jan. I kept them for a bit but in that warm little spell we had last week I planted them in half barrels because I was worried they'd dry out (we'll be rearranging the garden next year so I wanted them in containers this year).

They're outside and now it's freezing again. I didnt' cover the barrels with fleece or anything, will the asparagus be alright?

good question. Soil is a pretty good insulator but above ground they are at more risk. If the soil hasn't frozen solid, they should be ok.

Comment

I found this quote in an article produced by the Minnesota University...

" Asparagus tolerates great temperature variations: it grows in the Imperial Valley of Southern California, where temperatures can reach 115° F, and it grows in Minnesota, where temperatures can plunge to -40° F. "

( -40F = -40C )

I think it's just if it's started sprouting that the spears would be killed off.

Looks like you should be OK.
      Let us know how they get on
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I hope your's are fine.............i killed two that I had. But that's just me.......I have special talents!
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          good question. Soil is a pretty good insulator but above ground they are at more risk. If the soil hasn't frozen solid, they should be ok.
          Yeah I'll pop and have a check when I take the strawbs to the potting shed!

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I found this quote in an article produced by the Minnesota University...

" Asparagus tolerates great temperature variations: it grows in the Imperial Valley of Southern California, where temperatures can reach 115° F, and it grows in Minnesota, where temperatures can plunge to -40° F. "

( -40F = -40C )

I think it's just if it's started sprouting that the spears would be killed off.

Looks like you should be OK.
          Let us know how they get on
          I guess they SHOULD be fine, after all they are an English vegetable right? They should be used to the cold I hope. I'll keep you posted!

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
          I hope your's are fine.............i killed two that I had. But that's just me.......I have special talents!
          Now how did you do it? That's the real question!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X