Elephant Garlic...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant Garlic...

I have 3 plants which are about 2 feet high (planted in Oct 2006)...They have produced what I am worried is seed pods or whatever they produce? This happened last year on my normal garlic and my mum said it was the garlic going to seed...

However, someone else told me Elephant Grlic flowers??
    Last edited by Grovsey; 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM.

Hi G.
    You need to remove the flower head. Otherwise the plant diverts the bulbs energy, into producing the flower, rather than creating the big bulb that you get with Elephant. Am also growing Elephant and Cristo, this year.

Enjoy the crop!

Baz
    Gone to plot!

Comment

Glad I found this. We found seed heads on two of ours today and have picked them of. Phew!!

Same has happened with a couple of the other garlics and a couple of the onions. All deheaded today. Hopefully things will be ok.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I always thought that garlic had to flower so that the new cloves would form around the base of the flower stem?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I think you should remove the flowering stem. You can then chop it up and cook with it- like a sweet, mild garlic.
          We cut ours today, and shall be eating some of them tomorrow with fresh pasta!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That's interesting Nico's, always hated onion flower stalk flavour-but i shall try that next time i have a bolter. Always wanted to grow elephant garlic must plant some this year. Have you had any problems with rust on it? my garlic was nearly rust free untill this rain and now....doh!

Comment

Rust? Yes- just started in the past couple of weeks!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Elephant garlic is related more closely to leeks I understand Snadger, so what applied to 'normal' garlic may not apply to this.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X